Asus ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Platinum Edition Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. The Poseidon is a great idea in concept but suffers from poor implementation.

2. The addition of the PCB parts is a welcome addition. However w/o an explanation of how they differ from reference cards or compare to other AIB cards, it inda falls flat.

3. Benchmark Comparisons w/ just the reference model again leaves me wanting more. Asus Strix would at least allow comparisons to other AIB cards
4. And yes .... would have been very useful to compare against other options. An EVGA Hybrid and say the MSI Seahawk EK X (w/ full cover EK water block) would also be a big plus.

drmacaron

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
i also have a poseidon. Super good temp dont know why the warer development aded maby if you should clocke it bigtime ?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I have the Asus Strix 1080ti OC. It 'boosts' to 2Ghz on it's own. But playing with the curve in Afterburner, I get 2076MHz, on air. That's without flashing the ROM

The OC is be expected ... from the article :

With sufficient water cooling, however, we were able to reach 2076 MHz. That's where our chip hit its ceiling, even after installing a high-end loop, increasing the power target, and applying a bit of extra voltage.

But outta the box, the boost is down at 1708 / 1709

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-poseidon-gtx-1080-ti-platinum,5151.html

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Both of these statements are incorrect:

"lay down a flat heat pipe on a large sink and, as an option, send water through to dissipate thermal energy"

"The thermal solution utilizes a copper sink that doubles as a block for water cooling (by guiding liquid through the hollow heat pipe). "

No water flows through a heat pipe. A heat pipe is hollow, closed and sealed to contain the working fluid that evaporates and condenses to transfer heat from a hot to cold point.

The author is confusing heat exchanger and heat pipe technology.

Actually, no ... there is no air involved in a heat exhanger

"A heat exchanger is a device used to transfer heat between a solid object and a fluid, or between two or more fluids."

The proper term here would simply "radiator tube" under normal circumstances ... as it is employed here, it's simply part of a hybrid water block, heat sink / radiator.

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Huh ? I didn't say anything about air. However since you brought it up, air is a fluid, and yes is used as a heat transfer medium in heat exchangers. A radiator tube is simply one part of a heat exchanger, I'd agree, but would not use the term here.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The author is confusing heat exchanger and heat pipe technology.
Please note, that this is a translation guys. In German we have such funny words like "Wärmeaustauschrohr"(I used this term and "U-förmiges Rohr" in the original), what means a tube for heat exchange (water, condeser priniciple, whatever). But the translator was not able to translate this "U-Rohr" directly into "U-Tube". This is really another shit :D

But is interesting, how much nitpicking appears, if only one term was translated a little bit incorrect. If this is the one and only problem, I'm really satisfied. :)

BTW: The air-cooled Strix is also in the translation pipe.

There are three possible states of matter ... solid, liquid and gas. Air is a gas. It is "by definition" not used by heat exchangers heat exchangers ... a device that 'exchanges heat to air is called a radiator

radiator - A heating device consisting of a series of pipes, typically inside an upright metal structure, through which steam or hot water circulates to heat the surrounding space by radiation or convection.

Heat Exchange - a device used to transfer heat between a solid object and a fluid, or between two or more fluids."

air - a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, and minute amounts of other gases that surrounds the earth and forms its atmosphere.

AFAIK, no term has been coined for what we have here in the Poseidon ... best I can do is hybrid water block / Heat Sink / radiator.

I had no problem with your wording as what you chose, while perhaps stepping on the trade definition of what we have adopted for PC cooling, does adequately describe what the "pipe' does.... and, to my eyes, more apt than the trade definition of "heat exchanger"

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
I think you need to check the definition of a Fluid. A fluid is a LIQUID or a GAS. Water is a liquid and a fluid. Air is a fluid. Also, I think using Radiator Home Heating nomenclature in a discussion about the cooling of electronic equipment is rather off base.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

You mean my desktop? The bad boy is standing below the desk ;)
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8wL0wvNjQyODM3L29yaWdpbmFsL1IxNS1QTS1GaW5hbC5qcGc=

jeststar

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I ment the card being review is ugly... sorry for the confusion. I really enjoyed seeing the speakers because they are the same ones I'm using :)
New%20Desk_zpsscxpfuvx.jpg

I'm not going to debate this with you... I fist taught college level Fluid Mechanics in 1976 and have been a practicing engineer in the field for almost 30 years establishing my own consulting firm 25 years ago.

Perhaps when you get a bit more experience in water cooling, you will recognize that home heating has nothing to do with this subject. And the subject her is "liquid cooling" not fluid cooling. I am talking about products specifically made for PC water cooling ... and yes, I have bought and used both from frozencpu.com.

This is a PC Watercooling Heat Exchanger... it exchanges heat between one liquid and another

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9915/ex-rad-171/Koolance_HXP-193_Plate_Heat_Exchanger_no_nozzles.html?tl=g30c95s1056

ex-rad-171.jpg

Used in various industries, plate heat exchangers provide highly efficient heat transfer between two liquids without allowing them to mix. Koolance plate heat exchangers are among the most compact and cost effective available.

This is a PC Watercooling Radiator.. it exchanges heat between one liquid and another

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18794/ex-rad-491/Alphacool_NexXxoS_Monsta_Triple_140mm_Radiator_-_80mm_Thick.html?tl=g30c95s667

ex-rad-491.jpg

Used in various industries, radiators provide efficient heat transfer between a liquid and air without allowing them to mix.

Some RADAR systems use a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger as well. We pumped in SEA WATER though pipes next to a closed-loop system that had relatively pure water.

OTHER:
As discussed above, the "heat pipe" that is used for liquid cooling is NOT a heat pipe at all. It's simply a flattened pipe that sits on a copper plate on the rear of the GPU.

Heat pipes are sealed with a very specific amount of fluid. You can't have a pipe act as a heat pipe OR transfer liquid in a loop. (I suppose you could in theory cap the pipe after adding some liquid but that is not practical)

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

I'd say he got burned or rather ... subjected himself to more heat than he was able to dissipate before structural integrity was compromised.

I find it funny that heat can also roughly be defined as a transfer of energy without any work being done (waste heat).

Energy lost as heat has been a major theme for this article and its forum, both in the literal and metaphorical sense.

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

I play BF1 in DX12 with no stuttering . Maybe the issue is with your pc ?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
@GR1M_ZA
We are two... No problems here.

Energy lost as heat has been a major theme
Impossible to lose energy (it's only a transformation into another kind of energy, Julius Robert von Mayer). But you can lose a lot of money with that ;)

I guess I should have said "lost to the environment"

But even the word lost could mean you just can't presently locate it ... not necessarily destroyed.

In this house we obey the laws of THERMODYNAMICS!

Status
Not open for further replies.