ASUS ROG Raidr Express RAID 0?

Mr-Rider-E

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hello,
I'm new to this forum :)
I was wondering is it possible to create a RAID 0 Volume with two ASUS Raidr (PCIe SSD)?
and if yes, How?
Thanks in advance.

Solution

The vast majority of RAID most people encounter is software RAID. Even if you buy a RAID card or have RAID built into your motherboard, it's usually fake RAID - the hardware just inserts itself into the boot loop to load drivers for software RAID. In software RAID, the RAID calculations are done by the CPU, not a dedicated hardware RAID card.

The only people who have "normal" or hardware RAID are the ones paying $100-$500 for a RAID card. And you really only want this if you're a business who can afford to keep spare RAID cards on the shelf. The reason being that if your RAID card dies, your data is inaccessible until you can...

Mr-Rider-E

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

Ok Thanks,
sorry if I ask but what's the difference between a "normal" RAID and a software RAID?

The vast majority of RAID most people encounter is software RAID. Even if you buy a RAID card or have RAID built into your motherboard, it's usually fake RAID - the hardware just inserts itself into the boot loop to load drivers for software RAID. In software RAID, the RAID calculations are done by the CPU, not a dedicated hardware RAID card.

The only people who have "normal" or hardware RAID are the ones paying $100-$500 for a RAID card. And you really only want this if you're a business who can afford to keep spare RAID cards on the shelf. The reason being that if your RAID card dies, your data is inaccessible until you can replace it with an identical RAID card. Which may not be the easiest thing to find if you put together the system 5 years ago and didn't buy a spare.

Modern CPUs are plenty fast enough to do RAID in software with very little overhead (real hardware RAID cards have things like dedicated silicon to do RAID 5 parity calculations which could take 30%-70% of a CPU's time in the 1990s, but take 1%-3% on modern CPUs). And data on disks using software RAID are readable on any hardware that can load/run the same software. So software RAID is a much better, safer solution for most people.

The only reason I've found to use even fake RAID is to bypass silly artificial restrictions Microsoft puts on RAID in Windows (only Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise can use software RAID 0/1, only Server editions can use software RAID 5). Also, some software will notice a pure software RAID array and automatically assume you're operating a server, and refuse to run if it's one of those "free for personal use" deals. Fake RAID will hide your RAID array from these things.

If your motherboard supports multiple PCIe drives, and (for motherboard fake RAID) the drives are selectable by the RAID controller or (for purely software RAID) you have Windows Pro/Ult/Ent, then you should be able to create a RAID 0 array with the two drives. I'd question why, since there are very few applications which need that much speed (editing raw 4k video files is about the only one I can think of). But hey, it's your computer, not mine. If this is what you want to do, go for it.

Solution