ASUS ROG RT-AC5300 IPV6 and Xbox One

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I recently purchased a new ASUS ROG RT-AC5300 and have it all set up (mostly all the default settings).

Everything seems to be working just peachy, except with my Xbox One....when I check the Xbox One's network connection (wirelessly) it indicates everything is working (connected, multiplayer works, open NAT, etc) however it says it is only using IPV4 rather than IPV4 and IPV6.

ASUS has an entire section within the router's setup for IPV6. I have it turned on to "native" but I am really unfamiliar with what setting it should be set to for the Xbox to see both IPV4 and IPV6.

It isn't the end of the world, but im assuming the XBOX will have quicker speeds with IPV6 over IPV4?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
IPv6 is actually slower in many cases. Even though they have for years tried to say IPv6 was the future many ISP do not fully support it. This is both in their network where there are fewer interconnects resulting in longer data paths as well as not supporting it to the end consumers house.

Fundamentally IPv6 will always be a bit slower because the ip addresses are larger and take up a larger part of the data packet. So you get more overhead in data downloads.

Your ISP would actually have to support IPv6 to your house. Many game consoles use a form of IPv6 tunnels but that is not really IPv6 it is more of a form of VPN.

Another concern is IPv6 lets all the idiot advertisers track your individual machine inside your house...
IPv6 is actually slower in many cases. Even though they have for years tried to say IPv6 was the future many ISP do not fully support it. This is both in their network where there are fewer interconnects resulting in longer data paths as well as not supporting it to the end consumers house.

Fundamentally IPv6 will always be a bit slower because the ip addresses are larger and take up a larger part of the data packet. So you get more overhead in data downloads.

Your ISP would actually have to support IPv6 to your house. Many game consoles use a form of IPv6 tunnels but that is not really IPv6 it is more of a form of VPN.

Another concern is IPv6 lets all the idiot advertisers track your individual machine inside your house since the IPv6 ip contains the mac address. Unlike IPv4 addresses where all machines share a IP that can change from time to time the mac address is rather permanent.

Solution