georgens

Commendable
Oct 2, 2017
I have just bought the new GPU and running benchmarks I've noticed this high pitched whining sound coming from the GPU, doesnt happen when idle, so my question is, does this mean that the gpu is broken and should i get a new one?

Solution
no, it will not shorten the life of the part, because it happens when it operates under load, us just a part vibrating under their normal operation

if you really find it to be noisy, return it and ask your money back, don't mention the noise, just ask your money back, but remember that coil whine is not uncommon these days, specially on high end gpus running at high fps, so it might happen to you again with another gpu, so you know what it is and what causes it

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
coil whine happens when a gpu runs at high fps, for example on a benchmark at 200fps it can happen, some do it at 120fps, it is variable

it is caused by a component on the power regulation stage on the gpu that under load makes that sound

some gpus are popular for having this happen

if you find it to be a problem, some manufacturers will change it for another gpu, but the new one might do the same

it depends on you if the noise is too high and unacceptable or if it is not a problem and you are ok with it

georgens

Commendable
Oct 2, 2017
coil whine happens when a gpu runs at high fps, for example on a benchmark at 200fps it can happen, some do it at 120fps, it is variable

it is caused by a component on the power regulation stage on the gpu that under load makes that sound

some gpus are popular for having this happen

if you find it to be a problem, some manufacturers will change it for another gpu, but the new one might do the same

it depends on you if the noise is too high and unacceptable or if it is not a problem and you are ok with it

It goes sometimes if i turn v sync on in a game, is this still coil whine, and is coil whine bad in terms of condition of the GPU as in will it have a shorter life span etc

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
no, it will not shorten the life of the part, because it happens when it operates under load, us just a part vibrating under their normal operation

if you really find it to be noisy, return it and ask your money back, don't mention the noise, just ask your money back, but remember that coil whine is not uncommon these days, specially on high end gpus running at high fps, so it might happen to you again with another gpu, so you know what it is and what causes it

Solution