Question Asus ROG RTX 2080 Ti Matrix - how to estimate liquid temperature, and what is safe liquid temperature?

Hey there buddies

Just one fast question, hope someone will have a clue. Just purchased Matrix from Asus and I put my power limit to 120 and core to +100 MHz, and she runs nice and swifth around 2025 - 2100 MHz, depending on a part of a game, etc.

Though, I'm a little worried. First thing, she's loud, when I want to keep the GPU temp as low as possible for the sake of the Asetek AiO attached on the Matrix. Second, any clue what is the safe temperature for the Asetek AiO? Is it still 60°C? Because from my experience from the custom loop systems, I'm almost [almost is the important part] positive, that when I have 74 - 76°C on the core, and I was playing for maximum of 30 minutes, so I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing 78ish °C and 80°C during summer, I wonder whether the AiO can take it.

I already asked Asus, but according to my experience for the past 5-10 years, I know that engineers are going full **tard on most of the products, so asking them whether it can take it seems pointless, although, I still made the ticket.

So, any idea of any of You guys, what the liquid temp can be within the AiO and how much can it take?

Thank You and with kind regards

uplink

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Given most AIOs use very similar mixtures, 60'C liquid temp is a pretty good upper end. IIRC, NZXT's CAM software even bakes that limit in for their own coolers.

However, the actual liquid inside the AIO getting to those kinds of temps is extremely unlikely. At 70-80'C GPU core temp, the liquid is probably <40'C. By the time liquid could feasibly get to 'unsafe' temps, the GPU would be throttling back, hard, to save itself.

Reactions: uplink-svk
Given most AIOs use very similar mixtures, 60'C liquid temp is a pretty good upper end. IIRC, NZXT's CAM software even bakes that limit in for their own coolers.

However, the actual liquid inside the AIO getting to those kinds of temps is extremely unlikely. At 70-80'C GPU core temp, the liquid is probably <40'C. By the time liquid could feasibly get to 'unsafe' temps, the GPU would be throttling back, hard, to save itself.
Thank You kindly for Your reply! Hmm, do You think the card is "AiO self ware?" I think it's the default Strix and that's that :/. I decided NOT to keep her OCed, it's 3-5% I don't really need, so. And now I'm having 70 - 71°C of Unitine Heaven that ran for 2 hours, so when the summer hits in, it's gonna be like 75°C. So You think that the delta is 20 - 25°C GPU to liquid? My last custom build had delta of 15°C, CPU to liquid.

Thank You for Your insight, truly much appreciated.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's tough to say with certainty, as coolants vary (either AIOs or custom), and various other factors. Anytime I've heard of liquid temps it's vs. CPU temps, not GPU, and the deltas were >15'C.... most likely due to the actual 'core' not being direct-die cooled.
So, with a GPU, I guess deltas likely would be a little smaller compared to a CPU.

Honestly though, given temps are in safe ranges, and ASUS designed this card to be more than capable of running at said temps, I'd be stunned if the AIO cooler ever gets remotely close to 'unsafe' levels.

As for your OC, that 3-5% OC is probably offset by the temps.... I would expect GPU boost would get you to very, very similar clocks at 'stock'.

It's tough to say with certainty, as coolants vary (either AIOs or custom), and various other factors. Anytime I've heard of liquid temps it's vs. CPU temps, not GPU, and the deltas were >15'C.... most likely due to the actual 'core' not being direct-die cooled.
So, with a GPU, I guess deltas likely would be a little smaller compared to a CPU.

Honestly though, given temps are in safe ranges, and ASUS designed this card to be more than capable of running at said temps, I'd be stunned if the AIO cooler ever gets remotely close to 'unsafe' levels.

As for your OC, that 3-5% OC is probably offset by the temps.... I would expect GPU boost would get you to very, very similar clocks at 'stock'.
Much obliged and appreciated. Yes, You're right. With heavy OC I go to 2010 - 2040 MHz, barely, and sometimes even to 1980 MHz and without OC I go to 1940 - 1980 MHz, so You're right. I'll stick to the stock values, and will drive her up to 70 - 71°C and maybe a bit more during summer.

Thank you!