Question asus rog ryujin ii 360 or nzxt kraken z73

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Any reason to go with either one?
Love ROG branding? Then Ryujin II.
Performance-wise, it's not blowing the doors off cheaper competitors. NF-F12 fans aren't actually that good on radiators, contrary to claims suggesting otherwise, and are what keep the cooler from totally dominating its competitors.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find reviews directly pitting the 2 coolers... since they're both house Asetek Gen 7 pumps, the fans are the only other thing setting them apart from the LCD displays.

The display is going to be a subjective thing; aesthetics and whatnot. As long as you don't quickly get bored of it...

If you don't particularly have that much love for ROG, then maybe flip a coin?

Reactions: Brian_278

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Love ROG branding? Then Ryujin II.
Performance-wise, it's not blowing the doors off cheaper competitors. NF-F12 fans aren't actually that good on radiators, contrary to claims suggesting otherwise, and are what keep the cooler from totally dominating its competitors.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find reviews directly pitting the 2 coolers... since they're both house Asetek Gen 7 pumps, the fans are the only other thing setting them apart from the LCD displays.

The display is going to be a subjective thing; aesthetics and whatnot. As long as you don't quickly get bored of it...

If you don't particularly have that much love for ROG, then maybe flip a coin?
It's replacing my Corsair H150i Cap. and I have the pump positioned in a way so that the hose input/output are on the right side, however with the Z73 it's so wide that I would have to position the input/output on the bottom side. My issue with that is I read that the heat from the gpu can heat up the fluid in the pipes? if I position them at the bottom as opposed to at the right side, any truth to that?

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Wat.
The radiator is where the heat exchange takes place, so if the AIO/CLC is being used as a top exhaust, the fluid is going to take more 'laps around the track' to cool down.
I certainly have zero issues with that, been running it for a long time, I prefer on top, but I read (and we need to take everything with a grain of salt) being that the Z73 is a tad larger then the LCD Corsair screen, and the fact that I can only position the pump "heads" at the bottom, that it would position the hoses too close to the gpu.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Do you mean the angled barbs going into the pump head?
Does NZXT specifically say which direction the barbs need to point? For some models that doesn't matter: they could be pointing up, down, left, or right, and it's still fine.
I guess I am talking about not the barbs themselves, but the holes that the fluid actually comes in and goes out of the pump, the barbs and hoses flex and have "play", I get that, but the Asus isn't as chunky hence the holes (for the in and out) could be positioned the same as my current setup, from the right and then the hoses just curl around and up to the rad.
They don't say whether or not they need to be on the side or whether you can position them on the top or bottom, I have no choice I don't have the room, so I think bottom is preferred.
Their software also allows to have the image rotated 90 degrees, so the image being correct isn't a problem.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Okay I need to back off the booze a bit here, brain fart, took a closer look at the Asus unit and both inlet and outlet are located at the bottom of their units as well, so problem pretty much solved, having them at the bottom is clearly not an issue.

Reactions: Phaaze88