[SOLVED] ASUS ROG STIC B450-F BIOS Update without CPU

Jun 20, 2020
Hi, I have a ASUS ROG STIC B450-F motherboard but the PC does not POST. I think the issue is with the BIOS since I am using Ryzen 7 3700x processor.

I do not have a spare CPU and wanted to update the BIOS using a usb drive. However, I cant find the bios update button on the motherboard.

Am I missing something? or the B450-F does not have a bios update button on the motherboard?

What options do I have to be able to get this fixed? Thanks in advance.

Solution
That MB does Not have a BIOS Flashback feature so you need Ryzen 1000 or Ryzen 2000 CPU to update the BIOS.
Does the MB Box have a Ryzen 3000 Desktop ready sticker on it ?
If it does then it should boot with the 3700x installed, if it has the Ryzen 2000 Sticker you need to update the BIOS.

If you do need a BIOS update you can check local PC shops and see ifg they can update it to Version 3003 for a small fee:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._GAMING/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING-ASUS-3003.zip

If it does have the Ryzen 3000 sticker I would clear the CMOS like this:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper...

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Hi, I have a ASUS ROG STIC B450-F motherboard but the PC does not POST. I think the issue is with the BIOS since I am using Ryzen 7 3700x processor.

I do not have a spare CPU and wanted to update the BIOS using a usb drive. However, I cant find the bios update button on the motherboard.

Am I missing something? or the B450-F does not have a bios update button on the motherboard?

What options do I have to be able to get this fixed? Thanks in advance.
I dont think this board has the flashback feature. I checked the manual and some online forums and the motherboard seem to not have this feature. 😕
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/should-i-get-a-rog-strix-b450.3500472/
The only way will be to get a 2nd gen ryzen and update the bios. Maybe a friend who has a 2nd gen ryzen can help you out

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
That MB does Not have a BIOS Flashback feature so you need Ryzen 1000 or Ryzen 2000 CPU to update the BIOS.
Does the MB Box have a Ryzen 3000 Desktop ready sticker on it ?
If it does then it should boot with the 3700x installed, if it has the Ryzen 2000 Sticker you need to update the BIOS.

If you do need a BIOS update you can check local PC shops and see ifg they can update it to Version 3003 for a small fee:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._GAMING/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING-ASUS-3003.zip

If it does have the Ryzen 3000 sticker I would clear the CMOS like this:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

PS
I ran my 3700x on the same MB for a few months (before I bought my current X470-F) and it worked Great with BIOS version 3003.

Solution