ASUS ROG Striker Extreme Socket 775 + HD7950?

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Hi all

I'm hitting a wall here trying to re-use old components to make a "light gaming" rig for a friend of mine.
I'm using aforementioned motherboard with a quad core 2.4 GHZ CPU and 8 gigs of Dominator memory. Everything works fine with and older geforce card using a six-pin power connector, but I wanted to upgrade it with an old HD7950 I had sitting in a drawer.
The case was fitted with an old Thermaltake toughpower 750Watt PSU, but unfortunately I don't have the PCI-E connectors for it. I tried using some adapters for molex, but couldn't get picture.
I fitted another PSU I snatched from someone who never got to use it, but was going to throw it away, a Corsair CX600 to test with. Despite it having two 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors I still can't get picture. Finally tossed it in my own workstation with an 850W PSU and that worked fine.
So the card works, I just can't get anything to display when I throw it in the older rig.

During the power-on process the fans spin briefly, but nothing further happens. It's not like I can connect a monitor to the motherboard directly. The LED's light up just fine and stay lit.

Is it possible the PCI-E slot simply doesn't provide enough power for this GPU? It seems so unlikely because this damn motherboard has no less than three PCI-E slots!

I was really hoping to make his kids happy with a rebuilt rig but it seems like it's just not happening.
Anyone got any ideas?

Solution
Not sure if it applies to the HD 79xx series, but some modern graphics cards have issues with older motherboards that use the BIOS instead of a EUFI. Have you tested the Corsair psu with that card in your pc?

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Not sure if it applies to the HD 79xx series, but some modern graphics cards have issues with older motherboards that use the BIOS instead of a EUFI. Have you tested the Corsair psu with that card in your pc?

Solution

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Nah I didn't want to mess around too much with my own rig, replacing the GPU was as far as I wanted to go.

Eerily, even with the old crap-card I can't get it to boot in to Windows 10 setup via USB. (Freshly made with windows media creation tool)
Entirely unsure what is going on, but it seems suspect.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008

GTX650, but I've tried with AMD 5770 too. Can get picture with both and they're similar in performance, but it won't load windows setup with either. Making a new bootable now with 32bit support, maybe that'll allow me to boot it. Thinking it may be UEFI/BIOS related.
Still want to know whether or not I can actually use this 7950 with this old system at all?

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Yeah it's running the latest BIOS. I got Win10 installed now, by installing 7 and doing an upgrade. So it's got 10 now.

No-one's tried running a modern GPU in an older machine like this?

Update the bios, I have R7 250 which is newer than 7950 and works in UD3R without issue at all.

There shouldn't be any compability issues with GPU's, unless its PCIE 1.0x16 or 1.1? not quite sure, but on https://www.anandtech.com/show/2500/4 (Yeah I know that it says Striker 2)
2 - PCIe 2.0 x16, supports NVIDIA SLI and Quad-SLI Technology
1 - PCIe (1.x) x16, allows NVIDIA 3-way SLI with 8800GTX/Ultra
2 - PCIe (1.x) x1, one compatable with audio solution
2 - PCI Slot 2.2

Have you tried bottom PCIE in case of just some random?

In rare case scenario, have you tried using VGA (if you have a card with VGA)?

Rising PCIE clock to 101MHz?

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Honestly, the last BIOS update was 2012 and there aren't even any Windows 10 drivers on the ASUS website. I think I should probably be happy it's even functional with Win10.
Since the card does work, but doesn't in this motherboard, I think I have to assume some sort of motherboard limitation. It *is* a very power-hungry card, too. So.
I'm leaving it with the old card, not willing to spend any more time on this pile of time-consuming relic ;-)

Specs for this mobo;

2 x PCIe x16 slot, support NVIDIA® SLI™ technology, at full x16, x16 speed(blue)
1 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI 2.2
1 x PCI Express x16, at x8 speed(middle)

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/Striker_Extreme/specifications/

I think I'll just find a new home for the HD7950 and be done with it. But I appreciate the feedback.