[SOLVED] Asus Rog Strix 1070 8GB OC overheats when using DIY support brace ?

Dec 27, 2020
Hi, I have a 3 year old Asus rog stix 1070 8GB It was sagging a bit at the tail end so I put a DIY support at the other end. The minute I do that the temperature of my GPU ideal shoots up by 10 degrees to 45degrees.. when I remove the support brace the temp goes down to 36-38.. (room temp 30) I don't seem to understand why this would be... Is it because the brace is too tight or thermal paste issue ?

Solution
Bad idea... the heatsink is spring-loaded to evenly touch the chip. Loading one side makes it stand crooked... If you want to support the card, support the PCB, and be very gentle about it.
Dec 27, 2020
Whats-App-Image-2020-12-28-at-12-54-18.jpg

Dec 27, 2020
Even when I try to gently press the heat sink section up there is a sudden spike in temperature... however, when i remove the GENTLE pressure the temperature falls again.. I am not sure why.. I have tried placing the support at different sections and the result is the same.. any support/ thoughts would be much appreciated...

As such without support aswell the system is working fine.. no crashes or shutdowns even at 98% load but not sure my mobo can hold this card as it does not have a reinforced slot. Hence planning to use a support

Last edited: