[SOLVED] Asus ROG Strix 1070 running hot even with frame limiter

anonymous890

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018

My GPU still reaches 80-85C while playing black desert, I have a gtx 1070 asus rog strix and have downloaded nvidia profile inspector and set black desert online's frame limiter to 75.6~ I have a 144hz monitor btw. Not setting a frame limiter would make the GPU hotter.

Helpful infos:
-Case is tecware vision, 3 front intake fans, 2 top exhaust fans and 1 rear exhaust fan (I've played with fan set-ups and did not really help alot)
-Ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler
-x2 8gb trident z sticks @3200mhz
-asus rog strix b450f mobo
-the gpu was not previously mine, maybe you know any way to reset the card maybe? maybe it was overclocked, overvolted etc, I don't really know.
-ive reinstalled different drivers, 390.77 and now is 399.24 with clean installation
-disabled pagefile
-disabled windows 10 gamebar
-disabled full screen optimizations
-set a fan curve 65% at 70C and so on.

I was also tweaking things before to reduce stutters, what I did was in the game's affinity, I unchecked 1,3,5,7,9,11 cores, turned off things on nvidia profile inspector, downloaded core prio, in short I have followed this thread > View: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/9vbtzr/my_ultimate_bdo_performance_guide/

But everything is now back to what it was, I reinstalled drivers and uninstalled core prio and set things to what it was before. As I am the second owner, 70-85C worries me cause I just want this card to last longer.
I just find it odd that even though I set the frame limiter to 75.6~ it still runs this hot, I find threads that their triple fan gpu does not run in these temps. What might be the problem? I really hope it isn't the card itself.

Solution
Hard to tell what could be the issue here, maybe there is something with the heatsink maybe there is no issue with it at all, did you try putting your fans on the GPU at 100% when it hits high C and then checking if it is getting cooler? When I am playing some Games by GPU goes on to 70C or higher thats when my GPU gets the fan working real hard and it gets cooler if matter of seconds, question is if you put the GPU fans on 100% when it hits high C will it cool down or not?

ViktorHX

Commendable
Nov 24, 2019
Hard to tell what could be the issue here, maybe there is something with the heatsink maybe there is no issue with it at all, did you try putting your fans on the GPU at 100% when it hits high C and then checking if it is getting cooler? When I am playing some Games by GPU goes on to 70C or higher thats when my GPU gets the fan working real hard and it gets cooler if matter of seconds, question is if you put the GPU fans on 100% when it hits high C will it cool down or not?

Solution
From the google search I did about Black Desert Online, most people with similar system with yours, do not even get to 70fps in 1080p most of the time. So you may have "limited" the FPS but since it struggles to reach that high, it still runs on high load, making it hot.

I do agree though that you should replace the thermal paste of the GPU since it might has dried. If you don't know how, you can always go to a repair shop.

anonymous890

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
From the google search I did about Black Desert Online, most people with similar system with yours, do not even get to 70fps in 1080p most of the time. So you may have "limited" the FPS but since it struggles to reach that high, it still runs on high load, making it hot.

I do agree though that you should replace the thermal paste of the GPU since it might has dried. If you don't know how, you can always go to a repair shop.

no sir, this gpu can even reach 120+ fps, thats why i used frame limiter to make it work less for it to be a lil but cooler, but it did not get that cool honestly, and gpu is only using about 50-60% while gaming. That's why I don't know why it runs very hot. With regards to the thermal paste, the old owner told me he has changed it awhile ago with a coolermaster paste but did not know exactly what was the model.

anonymous890

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018

Yes, I tried setting it at 100% fan speed, sounds loud ofc. But it does not drastically change the temp. In fact, when I set the fan curve vs. 100% all the time. It gives almost the same result in temps.