ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 TI Fans Fluctuate

Jul 23, 2018
Good evening,

I have had my ROG Strix 1080 Ti for about 2 years now and today, after building my new PC, its fans started to act on their own.

There are three fans on this model, and the leftmost one starts up then dies, starts up then dies, etc. The middle fan is not spinning at all, and the rightmost fan is always on.

When I look at my fan tachometer in either Afterburner or GPU Tweak II, they show the left fan constantly kicking up then turning off. The left fan makes a very audible spin-up noise every 3-4 seconds.

This started happening after I built my new PC. I replaced my case, motherboard, CPU, and AIO cooler, but I doubt they have anything to do with it. There is nothing obstructing the fans and I even blew all the dust out of my GPU when transferring it to my new case.

Anyone have any clue to what's going on and can I fix it without buying a new ~$600 GPU? Any and all answers are appreciated. Thank you.

Jul 23, 2018

Hi Supahos,

Thank you for replying.

It's funny you mention that because yes, I did reinstall Windows after changing out everything in hopes of getting a fresh start on my new PC.

However, I have found that putting my GPU on Afterburner's default fan curve, it stops the fans from fluctuating up and down. But, if I change anything about the default fan curve, the fans start acting weird again. Never seen anything like it but food for thought.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
That is straight odd.

Make sure bios is up to date on motherboard

Download ddu and wipe the GPU drivers in safe mode then reinstall.

Use Pci connectors on different cords if possible with your power supply.

Yell curse words at your GPU till it acts right if none of that works