Question Asus ROG STRIX 1080ti is preventing my PC from booting.

AmityX

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I bought a 1080ti today from a reliable source (friends much older brother). He bought it for his son, his son used it lightly for gaming on weekends for 2 months. He parted out his computer to buy camera equipment to pursue filmmaking and photography.

I went and tested the card out for an hour and a half today before buying (unigine heaven, shadow of the tomb raider, doom, overwatch etc etc). I uninstalled the card myself and inspected the pins and connectors to ensure the card was still sound, and would work when I got home. I started to install the card (after a fresh use of DDU) and got it all hooked up with the white lights on the indicator LED's saying that the connection was satisfactory and I proceeded to power on. But my power button wouldn't
start the PC. Thought I had accidentally unplugged my front panel connectors from the motherboard. Nope. I don't know why but I can't get this card that was working before I drove home, to work in my PC.

Specs:
i5-9600k
Asus ROG strix z390-f motherboard
32gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz
Corsair h100i platinum rgb
Wd black m.2 500gb
Wd black 2tb HDD
Thermaltake toughpower 750w 80+ Gold.
Miscellaneous fans and the corsair 275r case.

AmityX

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
If correctly powering the card, and still having the issue, then something went wrong while transporting/installing the card in your pc. Try testing it in different pc, if possible.
I figured that something might actually be wrong with it, that wasn't initially recognized even though it was running smoothly upon testing. I am taking it to a local computer place after work today and having my friend throw it on their test bench to see if it fires up. Will keep you posted though. I thought it could maybe be a bios issue? like the card is last gen and was hooked up to 8700k and an z370 motherboard. Perhaps there is a firmware issue that my newer motherboard and chip don't like?

AmityX

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
No, I don't think so. It should not prevent the system from starting. It looks like a short, that's why I mentioned the power connections.
I had it verified as a short in the 2nd 8pin connector, now I just need to take it to asus's Canadian head office with the receipt and see what they can do since it's still in warranty, thanks so much for your help!