Question ASUS ROG STRIX 2070S O8G coil whine?

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
I've just installed my fresh and new ASUS ROG STRIX 2070S O8G gpu, and I'm experiencing this weird buzzing noise while running a game coming from the GPU (I'm pretty sure)
note: when I'm changing video settings in the game and the frames stop pumping, the noise immediatly stops and when it's going again, the noise re-appears
After reading some posts about this, I'd come to the conclusion that my GPU has coil whine. When I have higher FPS, it's more significant. It's loud enough to be annoying and I don't want to have it at all. This card was expensive, and I want the system to be perfect...
So what can I do here? Any magical ways that might solve the issue? or just RMA it and hope for a better card? But that would make me card-less for about a month knowing the costumer service here. :(
The full system:
Motherboard: ASUS Z390 ROG STRIX
Processor: i7 8700K
PSU: Be Quiet! Straignt power 11 750W
Ram: 2x8 G-Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz RGB
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 2070S O8G

You are right, what you describe is coil whine. Unfortunately there aren't many things to do except maybe capping your FPS since uncapped always makes the noise higher.
Most brands do not accept coil whine as a reason to RMA and I am certain ASUS is one of them. Many other people have failed to RMA an Asus card due to coil whine. Unfortunately it's not something that you can know beforehand and it's luck of the draw, just like the silicon lottery.

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
Return the card and get a new one. Mine does not have coil whine.
I can't return it anymore, it's been opened and in use.
Asus doesen't accept coil whine as a reason for RMA

But, coming around, I've got used to it. And after a few minutes of playing, when my fans ramp up to an audible extent (like 40%), it's actually not audible and not annoying at all, so afterall, I'm happy becouse the whine is very subtle.
Only thing I did to achieve this is reducingthe max FPS i can get ingames. With the Nvidia control panel you can now set a max fps globally, and I set that to 130. With that, the whine is not loud enough to be really disturbing.

Also, this is not limiting me in any way, since my (also brand new) AORUS fi27q is running on 120hz becouse I love 10bit color and it can only run 10bit while 120hz

So I'm very happy afterall, the monitor is on a whole another level coming from a 60hz 1080p panel, I love it.

Last edited: