Question Asus ROG Strix 390-E - Standoffs on the backside Red Rust?

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Hello
I've just checked if I installed standoffs, because I wasn't sure if I did, but everything's fine, except for one screw/standoff at the backside having some sort of red corrosion/rust on it. what could that be?

I'm a bit worried, because I also get zapped when I take the headphones cable out of the front audio.
when I move the cable connected from the front to the mainboard (the cable for audio ports usb etc) I can hear how the buzzing/humming on my headphone is getting louder, didn't have that problem with my old H310 m2-pro.
And when I'm playing it get's louder the higher the gpu usage is, it's basically coil whine on headphones
It is definetly on headphones not from the gpu and it seems to affect the older inear headphone more than my headset, there I can barely hear it

Lutfij

Titan
I don't think it's coil whine over your headphones, rather that you're experiencing what most would call a grounding issue. The static can come about when your houses wiring lacks or doesn't have adequate grounding.

Mind sharing your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Just for the sake of relevance, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

Do you have a picture of the rust you speak of?

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
That's what my Signature is for (Specs)
But here we go:
CPU: i7 8700k
MB: ASUS ROG strix 390-e
PSU: Seasonic 650 platinum
Case: can't tell, it's from MSI's Codex 3
For the rest please click the signature or tell me if you need to know more.

Grounding issues should not be a problem, since I haven't connected it directly into the wall socket, but through a special multi-socket, which I bought years ago in Saturn (shop), it should be good enough

But I made a few pics just to be sure, what do you say?
Edit: Please click on imgur-link for more pictures.
And I'm going to add the picture with the "rust" right away
Additional question: if it indeed is grounding issue-related will it harm my system?

Edit2: Added picture of the screw, but it won't be useful, I fear. I can't take a better picture right now, I've tried like 10 times but nothing

Edit3: And if it is grounding, why now, why not in my old setup?
those were different:
MB: H310m M2-Pro
PSU: Noname 500w

I appreciate your effort, thank you.
View: https://imgur.com/a/0m7Hb4b

Last edited:

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
I provided the Informations you asked for, so please help me.

It's also making kind of a crackle-sound when I connect the cable to the PSU.
And the cable for the front (powerbutton, audio etc) : when I move it up and down I can hear it either more or less (buzzing)

What can I do about it`?
Is it dangerous or harmful even though my PC is working fine (games, programs, internet and so on)?
It's really one problem after the other and I was more careful than most of you recommend (esd wrist, reading manual like 3x etc.)

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Well, I live in Germany and this PC is quite new.

But just now I experienced it again the whole cable of my headphone (front rear) is giving me zaps it is charged!

Why wasn't that the case before on my h310 motherboard? and what can I do about it?
I'm going to check if there's more at the back of the mobo
So what exactly should I do? Remove the screw? What else could it be? And what about the Electrical current

Sheeesh, I'm so tired

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
I just bought something to test the wall socket for grounding AND a multisocket with grounding (thoses poles corresponding with the hole in the PSU power-cable because our sockets dont have those (see pictures).

I'm pretty nervous right now, I'm scared that my System is already damaged or will be damaged any second from now on - so I need to know what to do, before I shut down the PC, as I don't want to use it before everything is as it should

View: https://imgur.com/a/FVV7c3p

So it seems to only be this screw, and I checked on the inside (other side) if the screw's head is red as well, but that is not the case

I also bought new standoffs to replace it

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01NAUK2UF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <- this one with a pole in the middle, think it is going to help?

Last edited: