ASUS rog Strix b350-f => white q-led (vga?) no video

Jul 1, 2018
Hey guys.

I tried to build a new setup out of an ASUS rog Strix b350-f gaming motherboard.

Here some details about the setup:

Asus rog Strix b350-f gaming New (never used)
Corsair VS650 PSU (From an old setup)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x CPU (Second Gen.) New (never used)
4x Ballistix 4gb DDR4 New (never used)
R7 265 GDDR5 (Graphics) from an old crossfire setup (used in prev. setup)
Here is a picture of what it looks like:

http://i65.tinypic.com/xnd8a1.jpg

As shown in the picture, the q-led near the ram is white and a second led (sb_pwr) is orange. After pressing the start-button every fan starts running, the q-led turns from amber to red, to white.

So, I do not know why it is not working properly. Everything is connected right and in my older setup, the R7 is working correctly. I just put out the R7, installed the mobo onto the old case, connected everything and the screen is not giving any output ( I tried a second screen and a TV with HDMI, same results). Tried in addition the Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4Gb 128bit GDDR5

Troubleshooting checklist:

1. Did you carefully read the motherboard owners manual?

Yes, no specific information is given.

2. Did you plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket?

Yes. As shown in the picture on the top left.

3. Did you install the standoffs under the motherboard? Did you place them so they all align with the screw holes in the motherboard, with no extra standoffs touching the board in the wrong place?

Yes. Checked twice.

4. Did you verify that the video card is fully seated?

Yes. Checked with two different cards (Sapphire R7 265 GDDR5 and Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4Gb 128bit GDDR5) in different PCIe (currently 1x16) sockets.

5. Did you attach ALL the required power connector(s) to the video card?

Yes. But just the R7 needs a power connector, tried with two different connectors from the PSU.

6. Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed?

Yes. On the A2 Slot, as shown in the manual.

7. Did you verify that all memory modules are fully inserted?

Yes. Because I tried to start without the modules (and if not inserted, the q-led starts giving an amber/orange light.

8. Did you verify in the owners manual that you're using the correct RAM slots?

Yes. As told before.

9. Did you remove the plastic guard over the CPU socket? (this actually comes up occasionally.)

Had none.

10. Did you install the CPU correctly?

Yes, there is just one way.

11. Are there any bent pins on the motherboard/CPU?

No bent pins.

12. If using an aftermarket CPU cooler, did you get any thermal paste on the motherboard, CPU socket, or CPU pins? Did you use the smallest amount you could?

I have not used any additional thermal paste, only the amount of paste it is already on the AMD-fan.

13. Is the CPU fan plugged in? Some motherboards will not boot without detecting that the CPU fan is plugged in to prevent burning up the CPU.

Yes. The fan is plugged in and it is running.

14. If using a stock cooler, was the thermal material on the base of the cooler free of foreign material, and did you remove any protective covering? If the stock cooler has push-pins, did you ensure that all four pins snapped securely into place?

It's the stock cooler and it's free of foreign material, I just tipped on it very gentle to be sure.

15. Are any loose screws laying on the motherboard, or jammed against it? Are there any wires run directly under the motherboard?

No loose screws on the motherboard. I just dropped one screw onto the mobo, unfortunately.

16. Did you ensure you discharged all static electricity before touching any of your components?

Regularly, yes. Not completely sure about.

17. Did you install the system speaker (if provided) so you can check beep-codes in the manual?

Got no provided system speaker.

18. Did you read the instructions in the manual on how to properly connect the front panel plugs?

Yes, and all of them are working [2x1pin (+pwr_led / prw_led - // 1x2pin (prw_sw +/-) // 1x2pin (reset_sw) and 1x2pin HDD_LED)]

19. Did you turn on the power supply switch located on the back of the PSU?

Everything starts correctly

20. Is your CPU supported by the BIOS revision installed on your motherboard?

Guess so, but not sure about. ASUS rog Strix has an AMD-Socket and ASUS is recommending Ryzen processors.

21. Have you tried resetting the CMOS? The motherboard manual will have instructions for your particular board.

Not yet.

22. If you have integrated video and a video card, try the integrated video port.

Ryzen 5 2600x does not have integrated graphics.

23. Make certain all cables and components including RAM and expansion cards are tight within their sockets.

Still everything tight.

You need to update the BIOS for a B350 motherboard to support a Ryzen 2000 series. If it isn't already updated. Looking through your check list. I don't think it is updated.

If you don't have an older Ryzen CPU to use to perform the update you can:
- Check with the retailer about performing the update (may cost money)
- Return your motherboard for one already updated or an X470
- Contact the motherboard manufacturer (will have to wait for shipping back and forth)
- Get a loner boot kit from AMD.
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Jul 1, 2018

Okay, I just have ordered a bootkit. If the motherboard is not damaged, it is the BIOS. Ordered the B350-f at Dec17 got it at Jan18. Just got the Ryzen delivered 3 days ago, had no money to complete the build earlier.

Thanks for your research, I'll give it a try. I am going to pick your answer as "solution", as soon as I was able to get it done.

If you bought the motherboard way back then. You most definitely need a BIOS update. That motherboard predates Pinnacle Ridge and Raven Ridge. Those are code names for the two most recent Ryzen releases. It'll only have microcode for Summit Ridge and Bristol Ridge.