[SOLVED] Asus ROG Strix B360-I only produces a red light. pressing the power button does nothing ?

Dec 26, 2022
I have just got this Asus ROG Strix B360-I, it has a Intel Core I5-8400 inside the socket.

It has sufficient ddr4 ram, but when the power supply is turned on; without using the power button, it turns on with a red light and rgb lights. That's it.

Even if I press the power or reset buttons, nothing happens; the headers are properly connected.

Taking a stick out without the GPU results in only the red light.
And removing all of the sticks, which should have resulted in a beep code, still produced the same results and didn't beep.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Dec 26, 2022
Did this motherboard/CPU/memory combo work previously?

I got it from a person who was throwing old stuff away. The person said the mobo worked fine and didn't need it as they upgraded. It was used until a year ago.
The mobo was inside a case, so i don't think it wasn't any electromagnetic damage.

Is it a problem with the power supply that i'm using? Because i only plugged in a 240w power supply to test if it would post.

Dec 26, 2022
A functional 240w PSU should power the system, assuming the motherboard/CPU are also functional (this assumes you have NO GPU installed and are using the integrated GPU).
I forgot to mention that the power supply only has a four-pin connector. I just put it in the 8pin slot, and it fits on the right side. Does this cause this issue?

Dec 26, 2022
It should be okay. What is the actual make/model of the PSU?
It was just a discarded Dell (presumably Optiplex) power supply. (That I have tested and it works)
Here's a similar image for reference.

619lhIqoMtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Dec 26, 2022
That may not work. Some Dell PSUs are proprietary and won't work with standard ATX motherboards. Do you have access to another PSU?

Unfortunately, i do not. My main system has a 1000 watt power supply, but since it is my main computer, I am not comfortable removing it.

But how are dell power supplys proprietary? Do they have a special IC inside to tell if it is not geniune?

Dec 26, 2022
No, they are proprietary in the sense that the connectors (or at least some of them) are not standard.

All the connectors fit fine, and are the standard 4 pin and 24 pin you'll see in any other power supply.

Are you meaning the different contacts of a 4pin or 24pin are not standard, Basically like the ground and positive connections are different?