[SOLVED] Asus ROG Strix B450 - E vs MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC!

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Which of these motherboards is better in terms of features and has better overclocking support for both CPU and RAM.

I heard that MSI has better VRM heat sink but nasty BIOS and ASUS has bad VRM heat sink but better BIOS.

Help me choose a motherboard between the two for the Ryzen 3600X processor and maybe an 8 core part down the road.

Solution
I avoid the whole mess, and bought x570, myself. Asus has had issues making stable bios revisions. I was going to go with a B450 strix ITX, and decided to avoid the headache, and went with a Gigabyte x570 itx, instead.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
According to this chart the MSI board has a slightly better VRM than the B450-E:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

I have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F and I run a 3700x with PBO enabled and it works Great.
So, I'd take that "Bad" VRM statement with a grain of salt.

You have to remember that people that say these VRMs are bad are Extreme Overclockers.
So as long as you aren't trying to push a CPU way, way past it's stock settings, either board will work fine with anything up to a 3900x.

logainofhades

Titan
Overclocking Ryzen 3000 is a waste of time. Just enable PBO, and let it do its thing. Both will need a bios update, to work. MSI has bios flashback, ASUS does not, for those listed boards. Personally, I would by a lower end x570, and not deal with the bios headaches. Both companies have had issues with bios revisions, on their older gen chipsets. That MSI board isn't far off, from the cost of some of the x570 boards.

Reactions: DMAN999

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
According to this chart the MSI board has a slightly better VRM than the B450-E:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

I have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F and I run a 3700x with PBO enabled and it works Great.
So, I'd take that "Bad" VRM statement with a grain of salt.

You have to remember that people that say these VRMs are bad are Extreme Overclockers.
So as long as you aren't trying to push a CPU way, way past it's stock settings, either board will work fine with anything up to a 3900x.
Overclocking Ryzen 3000 is a waste of time. Just enable PBO, and let it do its thing. Both will need a bios update, to work. MSI has bios flashback, ASUS does not, for those listed boards. Personally, I would by a lower end x570, and not deal with the bios headaches. Both companies have had issues with bios revisions, on their older gen chipsets. That MSI board isn't far off, from the cost of some of the x570 boards.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm living in India and it seems either the prices of low end x570's are jacked up due to 7nm die shortage and already they were selling it way above their tagged price.

The cheapest x570 i can find, which has been out of stock from early September is X570 Phantom Gaming 4 which costs about 14100 INR (~$200).
While the MSI B450 Pro Carbon is priced at 11900 INR (~$168) and
ASUS ROG Strix B450 - E Gaming is priced at 12700(~$179).

So what would be the better option out of these two with respect to BIOS updates, memory overclocking support and feature set and also i have the Hynix CJR 3600Mhz 2*8GB memory kit from G.Skill.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Of the two, I would say the MSI board, due to it having bios flashback.
Yeah, The problem with MSI is that the BIOS flashback is not pretty useful as it says and creates lot of BOOT issues based on various threads from MSI forum and also they have only 16MB ROM for BIOS which made them to strip features and make the BIOS look ugly.

BIOS updates seem to be faster from GIGABYTE & ASUS, Since i'm buying it as new i will ask the retailer to update to the latest BIOS before shipping. Gigabyte boards also have a clock gen to eek out some more performance. So thinking between X470 Aorus Ultra and ASUS Strix B450 E Gaming :(

Last edited: