Question Asus rog strix b450 f gaming future proof or no?

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Im still kind of a noob with pc components so I’m asking for some help but I’ll be building my first pc very soon and i started asking myself if the Asus rog strix b450-f gaming Motherboard is future proof?

I will be matching this motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600 but of course i would want to eventually upgrade to a better cpu/rig without spending a lot of money, Thanks in advance!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

As I am sure you are aware, there's not really anything future proof in the computer industry.

Although technically speaking, I'd argue if you really wanted more "future capability" technically you should only be looking at X570 as it enables PCIe Gen4 - and they're the only chipset currently that does. As we don't know where PCIe 4 will go in the future. But regardless, let's for arguments sake say that PCIe becomes a bigger deal in just a couple years, the B450-F will still and always will be Gen 3.

But in reality, no board is future proof. Just some have more features, or newer technology that others really.

Reactions: Reiv_4

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

As I am sure you are aware, there's not really anything future proof in the computer industry.

Although technically speaking, I'd argue if you really wanted more "future capability" technically you should only be looking at X570 as it enables PCIe Gen4 - and they're the only chipset currently that does. As we don't know where PCIe 4 will go in the future. But regardless, let's for arguments sake say that PCIe becomes a bigger deal in just a couple years, the B450-F will still and always will be Gen 3.

But in reality, no board is future proof. Just some have more features, or newer technology that others really.
Ahh okay thats fair, since this is a budget build i am building, I’ll stick with the b450-f until I actually change up my rig, thanks for the info!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ahh okay thats fair, since this is a budget build i am building, I’ll stick with the b450-f until I actually change up my rig, thanks for the info!
No worries, just remember the B450 chipsets need a BIOS update before being able to run the 3rd Generation Ryzen :) and only some of the MSI boards (I believe) are currently able to do so without a CPU. You'd have to verify what BIOS the board ships with.

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
If you are going to use the Ryzen 5 3600 on the ROG Strix B450-F Gaming you will need to either have an older AMD CPU to install until you update the BIOS to the newest Version OR get a local PC shop to update the BIOS for you.
Yeah I’ve heard about that but i got it covered, I’m getting them in a bundle together from a place so the motherboard will be updated for me so they will work together