Question ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II Won't Post

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I got this brand new motherboard in the mail today and swapped out my old motherboard with a new one (I had an MSI B350 PC Mate). I made sure everything was plugged in correctly, and it doesn't post. All of the RGB lights come on, the fans spin, and even the motherboard Aura RGB lights are on too. There is a yellow light on for the DRAM error but I've tried every slot individually with both of my sticks and it's still nothing. I'm hoping that this motherboard is not dead and I'm doing something wrong.

About a year and a half ago I had a similar problem with an MSI X570, and when I went to swap back to my old motherboard everything was fine so my luck with new motherboards is real bad right now.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700x
MSI RTX 2060
2x8 Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 2933MHz
Corsair 650w PSU

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Sounds dumb but reseat your ram and cpu, there has been a couple times that was my problem and if that dosent work we will go from there.
I did both of those things, didn't work :/ I even made sure my pins on my CPU weren't bent either. At first I realized I didn't plug in my AIO Pump to the right connector but that didn't fix the issue.

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Quick update: I switched back to my old motherboard and everything works just fine, I would doubt that my CPU is incompatible with the B450 board since they've always supported 2000 series. The box said it was 3000 and 5000 series ready so I'm not for sure if that had anything to do with it not wanting to post, or if I simply received a dud motherboard.

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
Quick update: I switched back to my old motherboard and everything works just fine, I would doubt that my CPU is incompatible with the B450 board since they've always supported 2000 series. The box said it was 3000 and 5000 series ready so I'm not for sure if that had anything to do with it not wanting to post, or if I simply received a dud motherboard.
I ended up having a similar issue but it was my fault. Contact Asus and tell them that your board is faulty and they will be more than happy to replace it. They had a new one at my house in a week.

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Do you try to boot from your old HDD / SSD or do you try to do a fresh Win 10 install ?
If using the old installation, anything can happen.
Including exactly nothing
I never even got this far, there was no video output or anything of that sort so I really couldn't do much.

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I ended up having a similar issue but it was my fault. Contact Asus and tell them that your board is faulty and they will be more than happy to replace it. They had a new one at my house in a week.
I'll probably end up trying this; I'd imagine it could have been my fault too, I watched some more videos on static electricity and to not place components on the outside of anti-static bags as that is conductive, so I probably shorted it knowing my luck. Such a bummer that's the third motherboard I've received that ended up not posting as it should.

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
This may seem like a silly question, but I ordered a ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming II motherboard that came in suspected "DOA" or faulty whenever my PC would power on but not post. On the box, it says it's AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop Ready and I know B450 boards support Zen+ but I was curious if since they also support 5000 series if that would mean the system doesn't want to support Zen+.

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I did have my video card plugged into my monitor whenever I was trying to get the system to post. I had already returned this board and put my old motherboard back in without any issues, I honestly thought I had made a separate post regarding my CPU compatibility with this motherboard. As mentioned above, I tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions and nothing worked, I only had power in my system but no video output and the yellow DRAM error light was on so I was confused, even re seating my ram, CPU, everything nothing seemed to work. After doing literally everything I could possibly do I just put my old one back in and it works just fine which is why I kind of thought maybe with the board being 5000 series ready the bios wouldn't support 2000 series anymore.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah threads were merged shortly after me asking for system specs.

What old one are you referring to? Motherboard i guess, B350? So your 2700x works just not on both x570 & newer B450.

According to Asus 2700x should be. Have you tried asking them to clarify?

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Yeah, my current one (old one, B350 PC Mate) is the current one I've been using and it's just fine. I've been in contact with ASUS support and they just told me to send them my model or whatever of the RAM I'm using since the QLED light for DRAM lit up it's a RAM issue, but both of my sticks are just fine and I already tried both sticks in each slot. I'll probably play it safe and assume the motherboard either came in faulty or my CPU isn't compatible with newer B450 boards, though it should be.