[SOLVED] Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming

Jun 19, 2021
Hello everyone!

Recently my build that had been running fine for more than a year started running very sluggish. After troubleshooting quite a bit, I discovered that disconnecting the 3 hard drives that I have connected via sata ports on my Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming motherboard makes the system run normal. Is there some type of setting in my bios which could've changed causing my computer to boot very slow and programs to load very slow or sometimes not even at all. All programs that I've been running are on my M.2 sata hard drive which contains my operating system. My other drives are simply used for storage of various video and music files.

Any suggestions as to what might have caused this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution
I had a similar issue with a machine that I was checking everywhere for, just to find it was a bad HDD. Similar to your situation, disconnecting it while I was in process of breadboarding the whole machine and suddenly it ran fine again.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to read your mobo literature and make sure you are not having one of your SATA ports be 'unusable' while having an M.2 installed.
Hello everyone!

Recently my build that had been running fine for more than a year started running very sluggish. After troubleshooting quite a bit, I discovered that disconnecting the 3 hard drives that I have connected via sata ports on my Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming motherboard makes the system run normal. Is there some type of setting in my bios which could've changed causing my computer to boot very slow and programs to load very slow or sometimes not even at all. All programs that I've been running are on my M.2 sata hard drive which contains my operating system. My other drives are simply used for storage of various video and music files.

Any suggestions as to what might have caused this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Windows keep on accessing other disks too so if they are very slow it would put added burden to rest of system. M.2 SSDs in SATA mode are same speed as 2.5" SSD connected to SATA.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I had a similar issue with a machine that I was checking everywhere for, just to find it was a bad HDD. Similar to your situation, disconnecting it while I was in process of breadboarding the whole machine and suddenly it ran fine again.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to read your mobo literature and make sure you are not having one of your SATA ports be 'unusable' while having an M.2 installed.

Reactions: 1dummy
Solution
Jun 19, 2021

It turns out that one of my hard drives was bad and causing my issue. Thank you punkncat.

Sad thing is I'm running HD Sentinel and I didn't even catch that the drive was bad.