Question Asus Rog strix B450-F or MSI X470 GAMING PLUS for AMD Ryzen 7 2700x at Overclocking

Jan 19, 2019
I'm planning to buy a AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU for gaming and 4K video editing. I will overclock the cpu upto 4.3 GHz. Other accessories of the build are:

Graphics Card: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 Amp 6GB DDR5
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gigs x 2 (=32 Gb Ram)
SSD : Adata 1Tb Pcie NvMe m.2 SSD
HDD : Seagate 4TB Hard drive
Case: Thermaltake V200

My question is, which is the best motherboard that gives best features using this accessories!

Also my cabinet has 3 120mm fans in the front. Do i need any extra cooler for this build, removing the stockcooler (Wraith Prism RGB Cooler) that comes with Ryzen 7 2700x.

Please do leave your suggestion!
Thanks in advance!

Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for the reply!
It shows MSI X470 GAMING PLUS as a Mid Range graphics card! Well!

The only major difference i can quote between them is that Asus Rog strix B450-F has USB 3.1 Type C port with a bandwidth of 10GBPS, Display Port where as MSI mobo does not have.

Is it a major disadvantage?
If so, is there any way to compensate that disadvantage?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
The On board display ports only matters if your use a CPU/APU with an IGPU (Like Ryzen 5 2400G).
If you buy a separate GPU and use a CPU like a Ryzen 7 2700x (that doesn't have on chip graphics) then it doesn't matter.
I have the ROG Strix B450-F and it works great with an OC'd R5 2600 for me.
And it would most likely be fine for a 2700x at stock speeds BUT OC'ing a r7 2700x on my MB might be pushing it a bit too far.

Reactions: chakrichandu
Jan 19, 2019
The On board display ports only matters if your use a CPU/APU with an IGPU (Like Ryzen 5 2400G).
If you buy a separate GPU and use a CPU like a Ryzen 7 2700x (that doesn't have on chip graphics) then it doesn't matter.
And it would most likely be fine for a 2700x at stock speeds BUT OC'ing a r7 2700x on my MB might be pushing it a bit too far.
Thanks for the info! I planned to buy MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MoBo, in order not to get any glitches further while Oc'ing etc,.

Jan 19, 2019
What about Type C port?
I have heard that type c is the next future generation featuring a lot of advantages!
The one you're using right now has an Type C port. What are all the advantages we get with this?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
If you want to manually overclock then buy the 2700 and a good cooler. If you want to buy the 2700x enable PBO and dial in a negative voltage offset. 4.3 all core on either chip is going to depend on silicon lottery if you want to run "safe" voltages. If this is just for gaming then the 2700x with PBO/offset voltage is going to get you the most clock at the best temp. I had mine running 4.2 all core (with boost to 4.25 - 4.35 while gaming) on an Asus Crosshair 6 hero using PBO, -100mv voltage offset, and core performance boost level 3. This was cooled by a Be Quiet dark rock 4 with sub 80c stress temps. If your primary concern is best power delivery for least amount of money the MSI B450I Gaming Plus (AC) with it's 6 x IR3555 is the board to get. The VRM heatsink, feature set, bios options, and ITX form factor may or may not be limitations depending on your needs however. I believe the latest bios versions have voltage offset which is critical to optimizing PBO.

Jan 19, 2019
If you want to manually overclock then buy the 2700 and a good cooler. If you want to buy the 2700x enable PBO and dial in a negative voltage offset. 4.3 all core on either chip is going to depend on silicon lottery if you want to run "safe" voltages. If this is just for gaming then the 2700x with PBO/offset voltage is going to get you the most clock at the best temp. I had mine running 4.2 all core (with boost to 4.25 - 4.35 while gaming) on an Asus Crosshair 6 hero using PBO, -100mv voltage offset, and core performance boost level 3. This was cooled by a Be Quiet dark rock 4 with sub 80c stress temps. If your primary concern is best power delivery for least amount of money the MSI B450I Gaming Plus (AC) with it's 6 x IR3555 is the board to get. The VRM heatsink, feature set, bios options, and ITX form factor may or may not be limitations depending on your needs however. I believe the latest bios versions have voltage offset which is critical to optimizing PBO.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I think the only disadvantage with B450I GAMING PLUS AC is, it does not support crossfire for holding two graphics cards!

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion!
I think the only disadvantage with B450I GAMING PLUS AC is, it does not support crossfire for holding two graphics cards!
Unless you are going to run a pair of 2080 ti's or Titan RTX's there aren't really any cards worth running in sli/crosfire IMO. You'd be better off with a single more powerful card in basically any other scenario.

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS