Question ASUS - ROG Strix B450-F will not Boot Unless I Power Cycle the PSU

sdph536

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2015
ASUS - ROG Strix B450-F will not Boot Unless I power Cycle the PSU

Just put a B450-F with Ryzen 7 3700x and Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) - prior to this I had an Intel i5 set up.

Using my old RAM and the MB and CPU mentioned I kept getting DRAM errors and it would not boot. Finally had to keep uninstall and install the ram before the issue would stop but ultimately it kept happening intermittently.

So I bought the Vengence Ram and the DRAM issue is gone but now I have this issue where the machine will not boot after I shut it down unless I power cycle the PSU.

I have no clue where to start to troubleshoot.

I have not changed anything in the BIOS other than the fan speeds.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
not sure on the PSU

Is it ancient, under-powered, and/or electrically ill-endowed (not necessarily in that order and not necessarily all at once)?

I have no specific evidence that Vengence ram doesn't mix well with Ryzen CPUs, but it seems there is a greater frequency of reported shenanigans with it rather than with, say G.Skill. This post further entrenches my preference to not equip Ryzen systems with Vengeance ram.

sdph536

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2015
The PSU was bought back in 2017 to run the Intel I5 with a Cosair Water Cooler.

When I went to this new MB, CPU and RAM I started off with my old ram first which was : Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory

With that RAM on the new MB and CPU (no cooler any longer) I had multiple DRAM issues and it not booting until I reseated the RAM multiple times.

Then I went to the new Vengeance ram and now I have the Power Cycle issue.