[SOLVED] Asus Rog strix B450 f

Mar 8, 2014
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING

Hi, just got my pc last week and had an issue where the only thing that received power was the MB. Sp I changed the MB to the b450 and had the fans and everything spin up nicely. Now I have another issue with the dram light blinking and the pc not giving any video. I've tried reseting ram, checked every slot with both of the original ddr4 ram sticks (that are listed in the qvl) and I have bought new ones today with no luck. Any idea what I can do?

Edit:
Specs:
Ryzen 2700x
Asus B450 ROG strix
G SKILL RIPJAW 16 GB 3200MHZ
Msi 2070 super
(adata spectrix d41)

Solution
You can try and see if loosening your CPU cooler slightly allows it to boot.
Sometimes a CPU cooler that is too tight can effect the memory controller on the CPU.

Also is the Yellow DRAM light staying lit ?
If the Yellow LED flashes on then off and the white LED comes on and stays on that would mean it's a GPU issue.
[Motherboard] ASUS motherboard troubleshooting via Q-LED indicators | Official Support | ASUS USA

Also check and make sure the video (DP Or HDMI) cable is connected to the GPU and NOT to the Motherboard.

What EXACT model RAM kit do you have ?
Is your exact RAM kit listed here as compatible with that MB ?
RAM Configurator-G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.

I would also check to make 100% sure that all the...

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
So, it doesn't boot at all ?
Try putting the RAM in Slots A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th from the CPU).
Then Clear CMOS using these steps:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
CLRTC jumper location can be seen on page 1-2 here:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

I have had to do that 3-4 times in a row to get it to boot when I was OC-ing my 2600 and RAM.

Mar 8, 2014
So, it doesn't boot at all ?
Try putting the RAM in Slots A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th from the CPU).
Then Clear CMOS using these steps:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
CLRTC jumper location can be seen on page 1-2 here:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

I have had to do that 3-4 times in a row to get it to boot when I was OC-ing my 2600 and RAM.
Did not work unfortunately. It does not give any signal to the display besides the power on signal. Therefore I can't get into the bios at all. Only see the dram light. Any more ideas?

Edit: thanks btw, great answer!

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You can try and see if loosening your CPU cooler slightly allows it to boot.
Sometimes a CPU cooler that is too tight can effect the memory controller on the CPU.

Also is the Yellow DRAM light staying lit ?
If the Yellow LED flashes on then off and the white LED comes on and stays on that would mean it's a GPU issue.
[Motherboard] ASUS motherboard troubleshooting via Q-LED indicators | Official Support | ASUS USA

Also check and make sure the video (DP Or HDMI) cable is connected to the GPU and NOT to the Motherboard.

What EXACT model RAM kit do you have ?
Is your exact RAM kit listed here as compatible with that MB ?
RAM Configurator-G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.

I would also check to make 100% sure that all the cables from the PSU to the MB and GPU are the correct cables and fully seated at both ends.

I would also try and get a different PSU (if you can borrow one) and see if the one you have is just faulty and causing these issues.

Last edited:
Solution