[SOLVED] Asus ROG Strix B550-E Realtek audio not detected

so I finally ditched my old i7 4790K and Windows 7 and upgraded to R7 3700X and Windows 10 Pro 21H2
but since I installed Windows 10 I have not been able to get sound working.

I've installed Realtek drivers from Asus website and it wasn't showing up in Device Manager.
At first I thought it was because I installed Nvidia HD Audio software but nothing changed even after I wiped everything with DDU and reinstalled without it.

I believe it could be that I updated Windows after the initial installation because I could see the speaker icon in Taskbar before that.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled different versions of Realtek drivers and nothing helped.
In Device Manager it only shows "High Definition Audio Device" and in PC Settings > Sound it actually lists my monitor ROG PG279Q which doesn't even have speakers and is connected to the GPU through Display Port.

so yeah any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

I never had any problems with audio drivers on my Asus gaming laptop which runs Win10 Home 21H2

Solution
solved

It seems that Asus really want me to use the rear USB-C audio port as using a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter worked even without Realtek audio driver
USB-C is the connector style of a USB port, not an audio output. I wonder if the USB-c to 3.5mm adapter is actually a USB DAC that's completely bypassing your motherboard audio section.

What motherboard do you have?
yes.
I even tried whatever this guy uploaded
but all it did was installing sonic suite and sonic radar

well that pos motherboard got a usb-c audio port at the back but I'm currently using the front 3.5mm
Does that actually matter? I mean the device manager isn't even showing Realtek audio
also tried the green one (Line Out) at the back

Edit: IF it really is faulty MOBO would a 7.1 USB external sound card work?

Edit2: I found a temporary solution as I already have a bluetooth headphones lying around and it worked since the mobo has builtin bluetooth.

Last edited:
solved

It seems that Asus really want me to use the rear USB-C audio port as using a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter worked even without Realtek audio driver
USB-C is the connector style of a USB port, not an audio output. I wonder if the USB-c to 3.5mm adapter is actually a USB DAC that's completely bypassing your motherboard audio section.

What motherboard do you have?

Last edited:
Solution