Question Asus ROG STRIX B550-F, No Post, Yellow LED light on Dram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am building my first custom pc. I put everything together but the pc won’t post. The yellow indicator led lights up on “dram”, which is the first of the four indicator led’s. The motherboard does turn on and all the fans are spinning, but the display stays black.
Below is my components:

[CPU]
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
[Graphics Card]
  • RX 5600 XT: PowerColor Red Dragon AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB (AXRX 5600XT 6GBD6-3DHR/OC)
  • Geforce GT 710: Gigabyte GeForce GT 710 2GB (GV-N710D5-2GL )
[Memory]
  • (QVL verified): Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
  • (Not on QVL): Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT2K8G4DFD824A
  • (Not on QVL): XPG SPECTRIX D50 RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 PC4-28800 U-DIMM 288-Pins CL18-20-20 Desktop Gaming Memory Grey - AX4U3600316G18A-DT50
[SSD]
  • Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7E500BW) [Canada Version]
[PSU]
  • Corsair RMX White Series (2018), RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply - White
I don't have any external drives that require SATA

I have tried the following trouble-shooting steps:

1. clearing the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery and shorting the CMOS header.

2. I BIOS Flashback every single BIOS version from the earliest BIOS version to the latest one. Tried POST at each iteration. No success.

3. tried using only one RAM module on the primary ram slot as per MOBO manual. I have tried all 6 ram sticks from the three dual-rams mentioned above.

4. I have tried reinstalling the cpu.

5. I have also ask cpu manufacturer to send me another cpu of the same model (3800xt) as I thought it was the CPU that was defective. There was still no success after installing the replacement.

6. I have two monitors, and three display cables. Tried them all. Didn’t work.

In all of the above trouble shooting steps, the results were the same: no post (black screen), DRAM led is on. Motherboard turns on and fans spins

Please advise how to solve this issue.

Thank you everyone.
Happy new year.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021
Have you tried clearing the CMOS and booting with 1 stick of RAM in slot DIMM_B2?
Make sure the RAM stick is pushed all the way down in the slot, at both ends.

Yes I have tried clearing the CMOS.

Yes the 1 stick of RAM as well.

Yes tried restalling the ram and made sure installation is done well

None of these actions resulted in a successful POST, unfortunately

Last edited:
Yes I have tried clearing the CMOS.

Yes the 1 stick of RAM as well.

Yes tried restalling the ram and made sure installation is done well

None of these actions resulted in a successful POST, unfortunately
Along with the steps above, have you tried booting with 1 graphics card in the first x16 slot and no drives connected, to see if you can get into the BIOS? If the PC still does not post, you may have no choice but to remove the motherboard from the case and try booting your setup outside the case.

Jan 3, 2021
Along with the steps above, have you tried booting with 1 graphics card in the first x16 slot and no drives connected, to see if you can get into the BIOS? If the PC still does not post, you may have no choice but to remove the motherboard from the case and try booting your setup outside the case.

I've only ever used one graphics card at a time actually. Neither resulted in POST.

What do you mean by "no drive"? I don't have any SATA drives. The only "drive" I have would be the m.2 SSD. Should I try booting after removing it?

I did try booting outside the case with only cpu power and mobo power connected, as well as the cooler fan plugged in. That didn't result in POST.

One thing that I noticed consistently is that the CPU heat sink never seem to change temperature. Is that normal? Maybe because the pc does not POST, the CPU isn't under load, thus not producing any heat?

I've only ever used one graphics card at a time actually. Neither resulted in POST.

What do you mean by "no drive"? I don't have any SATA drives. The only "drive" I have would be the m.2 SSD. Should I try booting after removing it?

I did try booting outside the case with only cpu power and mobo power connected, as well as the cooler fan plugged in. That didn't result in POST.

One thing that I noticed consistently is that the CPU heat sink never seem to change temperature. Is that normal? Maybe because the pc does not POST, the CPU isn't under load, thus not producing any heat?
Yes i did mean booting without your M.2 SSD installed to force your motherboard to boot straight to the BIOS.
What CPU cooler are you using? Are you certain it is mounted properly and plugged into the correct fan header?

Jan 3, 2021
Yes i did mean booting without your M.2 SSD installed to force your motherboard to boot straight to the BIOS.
What CPU cooler are you using? Are you certain it is mounted properly and plugged into the correct fan header?
Ok! I'll try removing the m.2 SSD today and let you know the result.

I'm using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Air Cooler . I followed the documentation to a T, and watched some youtube videos of people installing the exact model on ADM4. I think I did it correctly. I plugged the fan header into the cpu_fan header (rather than the cpu_opt header, which I think is for water cooler pumps)

Ok! I'll try removing the m.2 SSD today and let you know the result.

I'm using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Air Cooler . I followed the documentation to a T, and watched some youtube videos of people installing the exact model on ADM4. I think I did it correctly. I plugged the fan header into the cpu_fan header (rather than the cpu_opt header, which I think is for water cooler pumps)
Have you checked if there is any dirt, lint or pet hair in the memory slots preventing a proper connection?

Jan 3, 2021
Hi I just removed the m.2 SSD and try to boot again. The result were the same: No Post. Black screen. Dram indicator led stayed lit. Thanks

Jan 3, 2021
Update (spoiler, good news):

As it turn out, I didn't push the ram modules into the ram slot hard enough. I was partly frustrated so I push the ram stick harder in frustration. And then the ram stick went in further with a click.

I remember standing there staring at the motherboard, thinking "dude this can't be it right?" - and then it POST.

There is nothing like a beginner's mistake. I was forced to learn so much more about motherboard and other computer components, but the problem ended up to be such a comical one.

Since I did learn many new things, I don't regret the weeks of time I spent on this. However, I do feel bad having wasted everyone's time here along with me. Sorry about that, and hopeful you can forgive me as a beginner haha.

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.