[SOLVED] ASUS ROG Strix B550-F vs ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO

motorclub

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
Hey everyone,

Looking for a new mobo for ryzen 5600x and im debating between these two.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-b550-f-gam-wif/p/N82E16813119311?Item=N82E16813119311

I've read a post from half a year ago that having an active cooler on the chipsets sometimes might be a downside, instead of a passive one. I'm also planning to slightly overclock the cpu but nothing crazy.

I'd obviously rather have the x570 chipset however rog strix stuff seems usually be higher quality stuff.

Let me know you opinion and some details that i might have overlooked.

Thank you.

PS: Will be using a 980 pro ssd and tuf gaming rtx 3080

Solution
Don’t repeat my mistake, don’t buy any X570 ASUS. The problem is not the chipset fan itself, but its location. It’s a huge design flaw. The fan will be blocked by your 3080 and will suck in the hot air from the GPU, in fact heating the chipset instead of cooling it. You’ll probably end up with the GPU in the second PCI-E x8 slot, though its about the same speed as PCI-E 3.0 x16 - that’s what PCI-E 4.0 is in X570 for in the first place :)
The only vendor I know who used their brain here is MSI.
Besides, the present ASUS X570 beta BIOSes are almost incompatible with 5000 Ryzens, you’re very likely to have random BSODs and crashes and spend lots of time and money fighting it. Not sure about the B550 situation here.
Dec 2, 2020
Hi. I was between that one and the tuf PLUS model (which is worse than the one you shared). I chose the TUF one because I prefered to have more pcie gen 4 lanes and didn't care about 2.5gb lan, bios flashback or the fan. The PRO model has 2.5gb lan and bios flashback, so it seems an even better deal for me. The only significative differences for me would be aesthetics and as you said the strix one doesn't have a fan on the chipset. The VRM's are the same. You can't go bad with either option tbh.

Nov 30, 2020
Don’t repeat my mistake, don’t buy any X570 ASUS. The problem is not the chipset fan itself, but its location. It’s a huge design flaw. The fan will be blocked by your 3080 and will suck in the hot air from the GPU, in fact heating the chipset instead of cooling it. You’ll probably end up with the GPU in the second PCI-E x8 slot, though its about the same speed as PCI-E 3.0 x16 - that’s what PCI-E 4.0 is in X570 for in the first place :)
The only vendor I know who used their brain here is MSI.
Besides, the present ASUS X570 beta BIOSes are almost incompatible with 5000 Ryzens, you’re very likely to have random BSODs and crashes and spend lots of time and money fighting it. Not sure about the B550 situation here.

Solution