Question ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F (Wifi) Ryzen 5 5600X won't post -- beeps indicate memory?

Feb 5, 2021
Hey Guys,

I purchased an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F (Wifi) and a Ryzen 5 5600X and have been running into trouble getting it to work. At first it wouldn't do anything but I then used the flashback mechanism to update the firmware so that the motherboard would support the 5000 series CPU. This appeared to work great, because I got further -- I got to BIOS beeps. I started getting 1 long beep followed by 2 shorter beeps -- which according to the manual indicates a memory issue.

Originally, I was attempting to use this memory: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D60G RGB Desktop Memory Series: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 GREY

But concluded after I started getting these beeps (and checking the ASUS ROG website tool that lists supported memory modules) that these modules must not be supported. So I returned them and ordered:

G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (For AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX

which is in the supported list. At this point I have tried two different sets of this RAM, but I still get the long beep followed by 2 shorter beeps. Further, I believe this RAM is supposed to light up and show colors -- but it doesn't appear to be lighting up. The XPG memory did light up.

This is driving me a little bit crazy. I have really attempted to make sure the RAM is properly seated and such in the motherboard. I am confused as to what else it could be? Is the motherboard at fault?

Is there something basic that I am missing? Ideas?

My next step is to rip everything out and try it in a different motherboard (same model). But this motherboard is new and it just feels like this should work.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you walk us through how you flashed the BIOS on the motherboard? Also, a build comprises of more parts than just the board, processor and ram. Might want to include the PSU's make and model as well as the GPU and the storage devices.

You might want to breadboard the system taking note of which slots the rams are populating. I'd advise on using one stick of ram while breadboarded. If you get POST, you can then drop in the second stick of ram corresponding the motherboard manual.

You can also try and disconnect the power from the wall, then remove the CMOS battery before replacing it after 30 minutes. See if that helps.

Feb 5, 2021
Thank you for your reply, those are good suggestions. I am going to work on this again today.

Additional pieces in the build are:
Power Supply: RAIDMAX RX-630SS
NVM disk: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4
Video card: ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 RX570 4G 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

I used the ASUS Bios FlashBack mechanism to update the firmware. I have to admit, it is a cool concept and new to me. You put the bios in a .CAP file on a USB named a particular name for your motherboard. Then you plug that in to a particular (labeled) USB slot. Then press a button on the motherboard with the machine turned off but the power connected. It doesn't need to boot or post or anything to flash the BIOS. Never seen anything like this before -- I think it is neat.

I did a chat with ASUS support yesterday and one of their recommendations was for me to go back to bios ROG-STRIX-B550-F-GAMING-ASUS-1202.ZIP. The one I flashed was ROG-STRIX-B550-F-GAMING-WIFI-ASUS-1801.ZIP -- and they consider that beta still.

Yesterday I did try a single stick of RAM. Today's mission is to try to get the BIOS downgraded and also attempt the CMOS reset.

Thank you for sparing care and attention to my problem. I'll update with more as I know more.

Feb 5, 2021
OK, so I have attempted both the CMOS reset and the downgrade to 1202 on the BIOS. I removed the NVM as well because it shouldn't be required to get to the POST.

Not sure the next step on this, other than I have 3 sets of identical hardware that I was using to try to build 3 machines -- so I can try to build another one and see if somehow have a faulty motherboard. There is a set of 4 lights on the motherboard and one of them lights. According to the manual (page 1-21) , the one that is lit means DRAM problem. So at least the motherboard is consistent between the beep codes and the light.

Feb 5, 2021
Update: So I took this motherboard and processor aside and used a different motherboard and processor of the exact same time with the memory and other hardware. I loaded firmware 1202 on it and it worked straight away. The only thing I can think of that was a little different is I put a couple of extra support posts in under the motherboard on the right side -- so that there would be extra places to screw in the motherboard and mount it more firmly.

I will test the other motherboard again to see if it was some other fluke situation.

Feb 4, 2021
Hey, so you were able to post with another mobo/cpu but used the same memory? Was it the same make and model of the parts you were initially having issues with?

Feb 5, 2021
All parts are identical. I am attempting to building 3 computers with same model parts for all pieces. Still haven't had the chance to retest the motherboard that was problematic ... will update.

Feb 5, 2021
Sorry -- Long time on the update, but I worked with ASUS and we determined the board to be defective by doing a couple of procedures with just a stick of memory and downgrading the BIOS. The other two machines built up without a hitch and now I have a replacement motherboard for the 3rd. Thanks to all who responded and thought about my issue.