Question Asus rog strix b550 gaming e Vs Asus tuf gaming x570 plus

Aug 28, 2022
Hey guys,
So ive been planning on buying a better motherboard for a while now.Im well aware that am4 is at the end of life now,but i dont really plan on getting an am5 build+the prices and availability will be abysmal here for a long time.
Right now i have a gigabyte b450m ds3h paired with a ryzen 5 3600x.So im wondering what motherboard from the 2 in the title would be better for my processor? I like to add that the rog strix b550 is more expensive here and that i would probably in the future buy a second m2 nvme ssd. The pc is used mostly for gaming and some office work.

Lutfij

Titan
I like to add that the rog strix b550 is more expensive here and that i would probably in the future buy a second m2 nvme ssd.
Where is here?

You might want to list your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

in fact, given the current state of affairs globally, I don't think you're in need of a motherboard swap/upgrade.

i would probably in the future buy a second m2 nvme ssd
Pick up a large(r) 2.5" SSD as opposed to a second NVMe drive.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
... I like to add that the rog strix b550 is more expensive here and that i would probably in the future buy a second m2 nvme ssd. The pc is used mostly for gaming and some office work.
I'd probably suggest the X570 in this case is a better choice...

The reason the B550 Strix E board is so costly is it has a bunch of PCIe bridge chips (they're pretty expensive) to enable it to split out some of the GPU's PCIe x16 lanes to add additional PCIe gen 4 NVME. So if you use the extra NVMe slots it will reduce the GPU's PCIe socket to 8 lanes...or maybe 4 I can't remember exactly.

If your need for gen4 NVME is greater than your need for 16 lanes to the GPU it might be a good board though. A GPU with PCIe gen 4 can perform with 8 lanes equal to 16 lanes of PCIe gen 3. So far, nobody's shown a compelling reason for greater than PCIe gen 3 to a GPU with full 16 lanes so it may not matter.

A cheaper variant of the B550 Strix is the Gaming F, without the bridge chips but also without some gen 4 NVME slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pekaaa1
Aug 28, 2022
I like to add that the rog strix b550 is more expensive here and that i would probably in the future buy a second m2 nvme ssd.
Where is here?

You might want to list your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

in fact, given the current state of affairs globally, I don't think you're in need of a motherboard swap/upgrade.

i would probably in the future buy a second m2 nvme ssd
Pick up a large(r) 2.5" SSD as opposed to a second NVMe drive.
Oh sure,
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600x
Gpu: gtx 1660 super
Ram: Patriot DDR4 16GB 2X8GB 3200MHZ Viper Steel Series
Ssd: Samsung 980series 250 gb,gigabyte 1 tb sata 3 ssd
Psu(will also get replaced): Thermaltake dmart series 500w
Case: Mid tower,falcon pathfinder Atx case
The settup is used for almost 4 years now and i would really like to upgrade,im aware of the situaion being not the best but its not gonna be better with am5 anyway.

Hey there,

I'd prob suggest sticking with the B450, and jam in a 5600x and sell your 3600 to offset the cost. Will give more porformance up lift than a new mobo. You would have ton ensure though the bios is up to date to take a new CPU.

Unless it's only connectivity your after, okay, maybe the B550.

Aug 28, 2022
Hey there,

I'd prob suggest sticking with the B450, and jam in a 5600x and sell your 3600 to offset the cost. Will give more porformance up lift than a new mobo. You would have ton ensure though the bios is up to date to take a new CPU.

Unless it's only connectivity your after, okay, maybe the B550.
Hey,
Thanks for the suggestion,the issue is that the old mobo has started giving me some issues regarding POST and some usb problems,not to go into that too much now..it seems it needs to be changed and i no longer have varanty for it.A new cpu will also come in a while too aswell.

Hey,
Thanks for the suggestion,the issue is that the old mobo has started giving me some issues regarding POST and some usb problems,not to go into that too much now..it seems it needs to be changed and i no longer have varanty for it.A new cpu will also come in a while too aswell.
You haven't stated what your use case is...only that you'd like some extra NVME drives. With a GTX980 I can't imagine you're all that much into gaming but if you are then upgrading that first is probably a good idea. More NVME's don't help gaming or most other apps. Really only data-intensive useage that entails very large sequential transfers will benefit which is pretty rare. Otherwise, a good SSD will provide just as much benefit.

Have you updated your BIOS to latest? There were some problems with Windows 11 and USB that have been fixed with latest BIOS. I know it affected Zen 3 but I seem to recall Zen2 also.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022
You haven't stated what your use case is...only that you'd like some extra NVME drives. With a GTX980 I can't imagine you're all that much into gaming but if you are then upgrading that first is probably a good idea. More NVME's doesn't help gaming, really only data-intensive useage that entails large sequential transfers will benefit.

Have you updated your BIOS to latest? There were some problems with Windows 11 and USB that have been fixed with latest BIOS. I know it affected Zen 3 but I seem to recall Zen2 also.
Well the gpu is 1660 super tho,also that i will change when the prices drop further.
The extra nvme i would need for work since one is used for windows.
Im using windows 10 not 11 as of now with the latest bios,im fairly certain that the mobo is at fault,ive been to the pc shop where i bought the pc and after some tests it does indeed seem that the motherboard is going bad.

Well the gpu is 1660 super tho,also that i will change when the prices drop further.
hah..nvm. I misread LOL.

What are the problems you're seeing with it, exactly? It's easy to blame OS problems on the hardware. Memory configuration is also a common problem -- have you tried resetting CMOS?

One NVME for the system is the optimal configuration. For games, large apps and "hot" data storage use SSD's, for "cold" (infrequently used) data use SATA HDD's. This is much cheaper than all-NVME and easily done using the SATA ports every board has. SSD's work as well for games (and most other uses) because of random access times that are similar to NVME

And lastly, since that PSU indeed is one of those much-hated and you're planning on changing it anyway it is probably a good idea to start there. Just in case that really is the source of your current troubles.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022
hah..nvm. I misread LOL.

What are the problems you're seeing with it, exactly? It's easy to blame OS problems on the hardware. Memory configuration is also a common problem -- have you tried resetting CMOS?

And lastly, since that PSU indeed is one of those much-hated and you're planning on changing it anyway it is probably a good idea to start there.
No worries,
Damn i wasnt aware that thermaltake is that hated LOL.
As for the issues,
Sometimes after a cold boot the pc would freeze on the desktop forcing a hard reset,sometimes it will boot loop and sometimes not post at all,usb randomly disconnects on regular use and so on.
All of the other components are fine as it seems,memory was tested in different rigs,passed memtest,cpu,gpu were all tested in different builds and are okay,event that psu lmao.
Windows was reinstalled,cmos reseted,but the issue was there still.After using a different mobo the problems went away + the guy at the shop seems very competent at what he is doing so i trust him on that.

No worries,
Damn i wasnt aware that thermaltake is that hated LOL.
Not Thermaltake in general, but their Smart series. And even then...well I have a Smart BX1 550W unit (brand new one I had laying around) that's working just fine for FX6300/RX480 I dusted off. I'm not about to upgrade an already brand new PSU in an old system like that on principal alone.

Much of the problem with them stems from their older design, and the fact they don't have Gold, Platinum or better 80+ ratings. Older designs results in a lot of the power being made available on +5 and +3 volt rails, taking away power from the +12V rail that needs it for modern CPU's and, especially, GPU's. So it may say it's a 500W supply, for example, but it's effectively only a 350W unit for example. It may also lack the over-voltage, over-current, over-power protections, etc. of modern designs.

Well, it seems you've run through all the tests. It helps to have components to swap in and another PC to swap out.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022
Not Thermaltake in general, but their Smart series. And even then...well I have a Smart BX1 550W unit (brand new one I had laying around) that's working just fine for FX6300/RX480 I dusted off. I'm not about to upgrade an already brand new PSU in an old system like that on principal alone.

Well, it seems you've run through all the tests. It helps to have components to swap in and another PC to swap out.
Yep,
Will probably get and EVGA or Seasonic psu,depends what i can get my hands on.
Didnt know that about the pro series,good to know..
As for the motherboard,what would the best option be the strix b550 or tuf x570?The difference is around 50 bucks(b550 more expensive)

Yep,
Will probably get and EVGA or Seasonic psu,depends what i can get my hands on.
Didnt know that about the pro series,good to know..
As for the motherboard,what would the best option be the strix b550 or tuf x570?The difference is around 50 bucks(b550 more expensive)
If X570 is the only choice that's what I'd go with. As I said, the only reason the Strix E is so costly are those PCIe bridge chips and they're unecessary except for running more high-speed storage which gimps a GPU. High-speed storage that only benefits very few, highly specialized use cases.

But a there are plenty of B550 boards probably even cheaper if you have them available. You could pop in a 5800X3d in one, and with an appropriate GPU (RX 6800 XT is excellent...and very well priced now) be just as good as the AM5 platform for gaming. If that's not in your budget, then of course a 5600X and cheaper GPU will be just as well at home.

Most B550 boards have a 2nd M.2 supporting PCIe gen 3 NVME's though. So there's that if it's important.

Reactions: Pekaaa1
Aug 28, 2022
If X570 is the only choice that's what I'd go with. As I said, the only reason the Strix E is so costly are those PCIe bridge chips and they're unecessary except for running more high-speed storage which gimps a GPU. High-speed storage that only benefits very few, highly specialized use cases.

But a there are plenty of B550 boards probably even cheaper if you have them available. You could pop in a 5800X3d in one, and with an appropriate GPU (RX 6800 XT is excellent...and very well priced now) be just as good as the AM5 platform for gaming. If that's not in your budget, then of course a 5600X and cheaper GPU will be just as well at home.

Most B550 boards have a 2nd M.2 supporting PCIe gen 3 NVME's though. So there's that if it's important.
Allright,well i like the features from the x570 tho.The only thing i dont like is the chipset fan,some say its loud some say its inaudible so im not sure.Will defo see what other b550 boardasare there too.