Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2022
Hello, im having troubles with finding any useful info regarding my problem, which is i believe master bios password?
Exact model is : Asus ROG Strix G15R, mfd 2022 02
Long story short, i exchanged this laptop with one guy, to my phone. He didnt mentioned about any locks or anything. He said there is some password, so i thoght it is a windows pass (like 90% of the cases i believe), so i havent checked it properly, but yeah, thats on me
It has linux installed, and i can enter it, because there is 2 options, Linux or UEFI settings, whenever i choose UEFI settings ( i believe it is BIOS settings ) see below :
Whenever i turn on device,after rog logo, it just says "Enter Password" I tried probably all possible ways, enter most common passwords, ALT+R , SHIFT+Restart , and uefi reset through menu, nothing seems to work. Also worth to mention, after entering incorrect password 3 times, it freezes, i have to restart laptop so i can try entering pass again.
I decided to open and check for the cr2032 battery, but seems it doesnt have one ( everything probably stored in chip which is solderen into motherboard. Also i tried to install nvme from my another pc, and it loads windows, all good, at least i can use it, but still, i cant get rid of that password . I probably tried to google out all possible ways about this, still, since it is 2022 model, not much of info around. Most info are either from another models, either 5-10 years old posts over the same method ALT+R. Things i found interesting - KILLCMOS, i saw it is some kind of bootable program that restores bios to default? i was about to try it, but i also read that if something goes wrong, i wont even be able to boot pc. Also i read about shorting the bios chip pins whenever it asks for a password, but i cant identify chip on the motherboard too (cant find over the google aswell, where is it location) . Also not sure how effective this method is, and how safe it is.
Any advices would be really helpful, at least i can have some hope
Cheers

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Whenever i turn on device,after rog logo, it just says "Enter Password"

That's password to enter into installed GNU/Linux.

I had Debian on my laptop and that too asked for password, prior to booting into it.

Also i tried to install nvme from my another pc, and it loads windows, all good, at least i can use it, but still, i cant get rid of that password

If you take the GNU/Linux drive and have only Win drive within the system, do you still need to enter that password?

Btw, what happens if you smash Del (Delete) during POST? Since that's the usual key to get into BIOS. By the time you'll see ROG logo, you're way past the point of entering BIOS.

In an event, where the password you talk about is BIOS master password, e.g you have to enter password to get access to BIOS (which is a thing but rarely used by consumers), we can't help you on cracking that.

Oct 21, 2022
if i take linux nvme, and leave only the windows drive - laptop turns on, and directly loads windows. If during the boot i try to enter bios (esc) - same message pop, Enter Password. So im pretty sure its something due to bios... Pressing or smashing DEL key does nothing - pc boots to windows.Btw, rog logo with some kind of sword sound comes up right after screen lights up, after i press ON button. Pressing ESC After that, gives that part, of Enter Password box

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.