Asus ROG Strix GL703GM Scar Edition RAM upgrade, worth it?

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
Hey, thanks for reading.

I recently brought this laptop Asus ROG Strix GL703GM Scar edition

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173-asus-rog-strix-gl703gm-ee063t-120hz-fhd-i7-8750h-8gb-ddr4-128gb-nvme-ssdplus1tb-hdd-6gb-gtx-1060

and it only comes with 1x 8gb of DDR4 2666 RAM.

After looking at some system requirements for games AC-O, FC 5 and FH 3, they all state above 8gb needed, so I'm looking to upgrade.

My questions are;

Does anyone know what brand of RAM Asus use with their laptops?

Can I mix and match different RAM brands? Providing the specs are the same.

Should I upgrade by 4gb (12gb total) or 8gb (16gb total)? Pros and cons

What RAM brand and module would you recommend? Best performance for price?

Thanks in advance for any help

I'm looking at these RAM types

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT8G4SFS8266-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin-x/dp/B071KNKBQ1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546279377&sr=8-2&keywords=DDR4+PC4-21300+2666MHz+260-pin+SODIMM

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-1x8gb-corsair-ddr4-so-dimm-vengeance-pc4-21300-2666-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-18-19-19-39-12v

Solution

Crucial is great. I just manually choose the model myself on the website to find compatibile RAM. I don't...
When purchasing ram, you typically want all of your ram to come from the same package at the same time.

Using 2 types of ram, or 2 dimms of ram even from the same manufacturer is a chance game. You have about as much luck of it working as not working if doing so.

I would look for 16GB of RAM that will fit your computer.

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014

Thanks for the quick response.

Would you recommend a single 16gb or 2x 8gb? Thinking if get a single stick I could see if it plays nice with the existing RAM and is a little cheaper.

I'm looking at these items;

Corsair Vengeance 16GB SODIMM DDR4 2666 MHz Laptop RAM Module (£113)
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-1x16gb-corsair-ddr4-so-dimm-vengeance-pc4-21300-2666-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-18-19-19-39-12v

Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM (£126)
https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/rog-strix-gl703gm

Both I believe have the same specs and are PC4-21300 type

Just wait until you get it. Then open it and look at the module. As they likely source RAM from multiple vendors. Then get RAM of the same speed and timings from the same manufacturer. Which could be Crucial (Micron), SK Hynix or Samsung. Micron for instance might be PC4-2666V-SA2-11 so look for another which is the same or the model # MTA8ATF1G64HZ-2G6E1. Model number is probably better for a match.

I wouldn't worry as much with laptops as desktops when buying additional RAM. Laptops are going to use RAM which meets JEDEC standards from the actual manufacturer. Not some third party brand which may use multiple manufacturers and overclock the memory. Even with desktops. It's pretty unusual for there to be a mix and match issue beyond the speed they default at if they use different timings and frequencies. It happens but I rarely run into the issue. I've never run into an issue upgrading a clients OEM laptop or desktop using matching RAM from someone like Crucial.

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014

Thanks for the response, it's very much appreciated.

Waiting till I get the laptop definitely the sensible thing to do, speculating can only cloud things. First thing I'll do is look at the RAM mode number and try identify that way.

After a bit of searching found that Crucial actually have a memory scanner on their website, "Using the Memory Advisor or scanner at crucial.com is the best way to ensure compatibility. 100% guaranteed or money back". Not sure it's worth the extra cost of buying direct but hopefully it will steer me in the right direction of what should work.

Happy new year to you and thanks for helping me.

Crucial is great. I just manually choose the model myself on the website to find compatibile RAM. I don't like installing extra software. Crucial is the only source I'll use for clients. Their RAM just works.

For myself I'll screw around with used memory off eBay from a reputable manufacturer. Since I'm not in a rush. Although I usually just have something lying around pulled from a dead computer. It's pretty rare I come across mixed RAM not booting or being recognized. At worst dual channel doesn't work.

Since you have time and it is a new computer. I'd still opt for an exact match over mixing.

If you do replace your current module. Don't sell it. Keep it until your warranty expires. If it has to be sent back for some reason. You'll want to send it to them with original parts only. The same goes if you upgrade the storage.

Solution

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
So the laptop arrived today and my first impressions are positive, it's a pretty chunk of metal.

As for the RAM, after doing the initial set up I popped it open and the RAM has no marking, no model/serial number just a tape-like protective card attached to both sides of the module. It didn't say don't remove, but I didn't fancy tugging at it just in case.

Since I'm none the wiser about what make and the exact specs of the RAM, does anyone know if there's any software that might be able to identify it? I know about CPU Z, but I'm not sure it states make/model etc.

The options seem to be;

1. Order a Crucial 8GB and hope it works. From what I've read all the DDR4 2666mhz RAM are 1.2v, but what spec's must match? Best software to test this configuration?
2. Order a Crucial 16GB and remove the original RAM completely (but still keep it in case of any RMA).
3. (For debate) Buy the 16GB, install it in the primary slot and add the original RAM, to total 24GB and again hope it works.

As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

You can try checking it with CPU-Z. The SPD tab may give you the part number, manufacturer and timing table. Note that the Frequency listed is half the speed of the RAM.
https://cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

1. Go with whatever Crucial recommends.
3. If you buy a single 16GB. There's no reason not to see if the 8GB will work with it for 24GB.

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
Thanks for all the advice, it's been extremely helpful.

As I said before, I purchased Crucial CT16G4SFD8266 16 GB (DDR4, 2666 MT/s, PC4-21300, DR x8, SODIMM, 260-Pin) Memory and it worked fine, also I added the original RAM and that worked as well, so know I have 24GB.

Anyone reading this who has the same problem, I would recommend just buying the 8GB Crucial Module and testing that depending on your needs verses cost.