[SOLVED] ASUS ROG Strix LC 360 w/5950x high temps, replacement fans? Hig

Sep 17, 2020
Hello, i have the cooler stated in the title with a 5950x, i have never changed the fan curves in bios before, and im scared to do so if I can damage something.

The 5950x jumps alot in temp.. when opening a browser page it can jump from its idling temp of 35-40c up to 60-65 , wich results in the fans speeding up and slowing down all the time .. and ontop of that it's pretty loud ( 37-40db)

The 5950x has a max temperature of 81-82c when I'm playing games Is that high?

I also would like to know if there was some fans I could install instead to lower the noise but not lose cooling performance

Or advice on how to set up the curves for less noise

Changing case Is not an option

Solution
Set the Strix LC's minimum pump speed to 100% in bios.
Because of the multiple die layout, you should aim to make sure your thermal paste application covers the IHS. The little in the middle application isn't as effective with these multi chip cpus.
You do not need to lay the paste on thick - you can take an unused credit card and spread the paste around.

i have never changed the fan curves in bios before, and im scared to do so if I can damage something.
Well it's something you're going to have to pick up and get the hang of with this cpu. BTW, you can't damage the PC playing with fan curves.
Ryzen 5000 is already known by some to have a very aggressive boost algorithm -...
May 21, 2021
Take what I say with a grain of salt--I don't know much about AIOs in general, but I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to air cooling.

With that said, it sounds to me like either your pump isn't working to circulate the fluid fast enough, the cold plate of the AIO isn't seated well, or the thermal paste has poor coverage. There aren't many games that can torture that CPU to those temps. Hell, there aren't many games that can make my 3600 beg for mercy, at least not at 1080p 144hz. The hottest I'll typically see with my Hyper 212 evo air cooler is usually no more than 50 to 60, and I can only get it to 69 (nice) only by running Cinebench R15 about 4-5 times in a row with the stock fan curve.

Keep in mind, I'm not recommending an air cooler--you need a beefy solution for a 5950X.

Bottom line, check to make sure you've mounted the cooler correctly. You should not be seeing those temps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Because of the multiple die layout, you should aim to make sure your thermal paste application covers the IHS. The little in the middle application isn't as effective with these multi chip cpus.
You do not need to lay the paste on thick - you can take an unused credit card and spread the paste around.

i have never changed the fan curves in bios before, and im scared to do so if I can damage something.
Well it's something you're going to have to pick up and get the hang of with this cpu. BTW, you can't damage the PC playing with fan curves.
Ryzen 5000 is already known by some to have a very aggressive boost algorithm - even more aggressive than Ryzen 3000. Those 'idle' thermals and the frequent 'rush to sleep state'(the bouncing) isn't unusual in the slightest.
A higher rpm fan curve will be easier for your ears to adjust to, whereas they may never adjust to one with sharper up and down revving. For example: 1000-1300rpm Vs 800-1300rpm.

The 5950x has a max temperature of 81-82c when I'm playing games Is that high?
No.

I also would like to know if there was some fans I could install instead to lower the noise but not lose cooling performance
No. You're going to have to compromise... at least as far as 100% fan speeds are concerned.
Fan curves below 100% aren't linear, and manufacturers don't post fan curves either, so no one knows how a particular fan behaves at multiple points below the 100% mark.

If you do go forward with replacing fans, the best, or good radiator fans are going to depend on your ears: radiator fans you can comfortably run at 100% - or as close to it as possible.
I need to emphasize radiator fans, because you can't replace the current fans with just anything.

Changing case Is not an option
Even though it's not an option, you should still relay what it is - it's a piece of the whole puzzle after all.
How effective a cooler is - be it air, liquid, on the cpu, or on the gpu - will be affected by how much the chassis allows through it.

Solution
Sep 17, 2020

Ryzen 5000 is already known by some to have a very aggressive boost algorithm - even more aggressive than Ryzen 3000. Those 'idle' thermals and the frequent 'rush to sleep state'(the bouncing) isn't unusual in the slightest.
A higher rpm fan curve will be easier for your ears to adjust to, whereas they may never adjust to one with sharper up and down revving. For example: 1000-1300rpm Vs 800-1300rpm.

No.

No. You're going to have to compromise... at least as far as 100% fan speeds are concerned.
Fan curves below 100% aren't linear, and manufacturers don't post fan curves either, so no one knows how a particular fan behaves at multiple points below the 100% mark.

If you do go forward with replacing fans, the best, or good radiator fans are going to depend on your ears: radiator fans you can comfortably run at 100% - or as close to it as possible.
I need to emphasize radiator fans, because you can't replace the current fans with just anything.

Even though it's not an option, you should still relay what it is - it's a piece of the whole puzzle after all.
How effective a cooler is - be it air, liquid, on the cpu, or on the gpu - will be affected by how much the chassis allows through it.

Thanks alot for your answer!
i did what you said, i spread the thermal paste arround and now i am confused
i tried using cinebench 20 to stress test my cpu, and here is what i got

98386f6aa84582599fae193ac9efe47d.png

something has to be wrong right ?

i increased the cpu fans to 45% - 65% speed all the way up to 65c , then 100% at 75c and up

i see these "low" temps and im like the temps reported must be wrong?

Either way the fans are running much more static now and thats alot more comfortable!

oh, and my cinebech 20 score was 10188