[SOLVED] ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6800XT-O16G-GAMING Instant crash under load

Jan 16, 2021
Hello,

I just installed a new ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6800XT-O16G-GAMING GPU… I was so excited to finally get this after two months of daily non-stop F5s.

I uninstalled the video drivers using DDU in safe mode (twice just to be certain) and installed the latest revision of the AMD provided adrenalin drivers (20.12.2 December 17th) using the factory installation setting.

No issues in Windows, but instant crash (black screen reboot, no blue screen) whenever I try and play a game (AC Valhalla) or enter benchmarks (i.e. OCCT and Heaven’s). AC Valhalla usually crashes in the menu settings, but I’ve been able to get to run the in-game benchmark for 10-15 seconds a few times. Haven’s will run between 30-90 seconds depending on the occasion. OCCT is instant crash when trying the 3D test.

Monitoring temps when I do get to run a benchmark, I’m in the low 40s on the core and low 50s for the junction. Case is very well ventilated, no pets, clean set up and room, no carpet. Nothing is overclocked everything at stock, running at stock 2450mhz on core and 2000mhz on VRAM.

CPU/RAM all at stock and no issues previously (I even removed the XMS profile just in case).

Updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest revision after crashes, didn’t help. Re-did the DDU process multiple times, no help. I’m running a triple monitor 4k set up (2 DP, 1 HDMI), disabled two of the monitors, no help.

I can run OCCT overall stress test for an hour no issue. I can run OCCT memory for an hour no issue. I can run OCCT power test for an hour no issue (GPU pulling 300W and CPU pulling 200W). I have a 850W PSU. Everything works, except the video card under load, no issues in Windows. Windows fully updated; triple checked.

No idea what else could be causing this!! Any ideas?

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900k
RAM: Ripjaws V DDR4-3000MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V 64GB (4x16GB)
GPU: ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6800XT-O16G-GAMING
SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB
PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX850W 80PLUS Silver
CPU AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm

Solution
Hello,

I just installed a new ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6800XT-O16G-GAMING GPU… I was so excited to finally get this after two months of daily non-stop F5s.

I uninstalled the video drivers using DDU in safe mode (twice just to be certain) and installed the latest revision of the AMD provided adrenalin drivers (20.12.2 December 17th) using the factory installation setting.

No issues in Windows, but instant crash (black screen reboot, no blue screen) whenever I try and play a game (AC Valhalla) or enter benchmarks (i.e. OCCT and Heaven’s). AC Valhalla usually crashes in the menu settings, but I’ve been able to get to run the in-game benchmark for 10-15 seconds a few times. Haven’s will run between 30-90 seconds depending on the occasion...
Hello,

No issues in Windows, but instant crash (black screen reboot, no blue screen) whenever I try and play a game (AC Valhalla) or enter benchmarks (i.e. OCCT and Heaven’s). AC Valhalla usually crashes in the menu settings, but I’ve been able to get to run the in-game benchmark for 10-15 seconds a few times. Haven’s will run between 30-90 seconds depending on the occasion. OCCT is instant crash when trying the 3D test.

Monitoring temps when I do get to run a benchmark, I’m in the low 40s on the core and low 50s for the junction. Case is very well ventilated, no pets, clean set up and room, no carpet. Nothing is overclocked everything at stock, running at stock 2450mhz on core and 2000mhz on VRAM.

CPU/RAM all at stock and no issues previously (I even removed the XMS profile just in case).

Updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest revision after crashes, didn’t help. Re-did the DDU process multiple times, no help. I’m running a triple monitor 4k set up (2 DP, 1 HDMI), disabled two of the monitors, no help.

I can run OCCT overall stress test for an hour no issue. I can run OCCT memory for an hour no issue. I can run OCCT power test for an hour no issue (GPU pulling 300W and CPU pulling 200W). I have a 850W PSU. Everything works, except the video card under load, no issues in Windows. Windows fully updated; triple checked.

No idea what else could be causing this!! Any ideas?

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900k
RAM: Ripjaws V DDR4-3000MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V 64GB (4x16GB)
GPU: ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6800XT-O16G-GAMING
SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB
PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX850W 80PLUS Silver
CPU AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm
Your parts list looks great until you get to that 10-12 year old power supply. Just how long do you think you can keep using it? If you are not having temperature issues the old power supply becomes the prime suspect. While I can't guarantee with 100% certainty it's the problem, you're well past the time to replace it anyways.

Solution
Jan 16, 2021
Your parts list looks great until you get to that 10-12 year old power supply. Just how long do you think you can keep using it? If you are not having temperature issues the old power supply becomes the prime suspect. While I can't guarantee with 100% certainty it's the problem, you're well past the time to replace it anyways.

Didn't think that would be the culprit. Just ordered a EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1000W. Hope you are right.

Jan 16, 2021
As I said, it's well overdue for replacement so hopefully this will correct the problem. BTW, don't use the old cables. They are not generally compatible from brand to brand. Install all new cables that come with the new PSU.

For sure. Thanks. Will keep you posted. ~2week delay to receive the PSU.

Jan 16, 2021
Do have have a different gpu 12v power cable you can try out? Could be the cables are bad, or the port they click into on the psu. If you can, might want to try.

Those aren't modular in this particular PSU, so no to both questions. Either way, I have a new PSU on the way - will see if that does the trick.

Jan 16, 2021
PSU arrived, installed and solved the issues immediately. Benchmarked the GPU at 100% load for an hour straight at default clocks and settings no problem.

Decided to have fun.......

Cranked up the GPU Clock to 2675Mhz, GPU voltage back to 1150mV, Memory Clock to 4150Mhz and Power Target % to 115% - one hour, full load, no issues. Temperatures on the GPU never went above 44C and Junction about 56C.

Am now a happy camper!

Jan 16, 2021

Special thanks to you for solving this. Much appreciated.