ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 580 T8G Gaming Top OC Edition with h97 plus motherboard ?

mikelap

Prominent
Oct 20, 2018
Planning on getting a Rog Strix XG 35vq 1440P 35 inch ultrawide but dont want to reinvest in my 2 year old build would try a ASUS ROG STRIX RX580 oc edition but is it compatible with my Asus H97 plus motherboard ,CPU ,Ram, and PSU and also playable at medium settings with a 1440P monitor .

Games i play are WAR THUNDER, CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS, WORLD OF WAR SHIPS .ASETTO CORSA .Thank you.

Solution
That will certainly get you the most performance now.

You could also keep an eye out for an i7-4790 to drop in there, though on their own they are still pretty expensive.

One method I suggest somewhat regularly is to pick up a used business PC. You can find i7-4790 desktops for around $300. Buy that, swap the CPUs, and re-sell the computer for $200. $100 CPU upgrade. (Have to make it a good deal to get your money back quickly though)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RX580 is a little light to be running a 3440x1440 display. GTX1070Ti and up is what I would be looking at, perhaps a Vega 56? Medium settings will be interesting. Usually the people that buy those monitors have the budget to throw at a higher end GPU, so not sure there is much data about that pairing.

Yes, H97 chipset is capable of running any PCIe graphics card.

Thermaltake TR2 is a mediocre series of power supplies. I don't mind using them on lower power systems, but full time gaming with a high wattage GPU, not so much.

Your CPU is getting a little dated. However, since you are almost certainly going to be GPU bound, it shouldn't be much of a problem for now.

I can certainly understand getting an expensive monitor now and then upgrading later. People tend to keep monitors far longer than any other PC component.

mikelap

Prominent
Oct 20, 2018

mikelap

Prominent
Oct 20, 2018
So for now could i use a 1070ti or vega 56 with that motherboard cpu and ram and only change the psu for now , maybe that would hold me over for the bigger update later ?Would that work ? Thank you .

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That will certainly get you the most performance now.

You could also keep an eye out for an i7-4790 to drop in there, though on their own they are still pretty expensive.

One method I suggest somewhat regularly is to pick up a used business PC. You can find i7-4790 desktops for around $300. Buy that, swap the CPUs, and re-sell the computer for $200. $100 CPU upgrade. (Have to make it a good deal to get your money back quickly though)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS