ASUS ROG STRIX RX 480 (8GB) Crashes in game (Grey Screen)

LegionSquad1

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Ok so this has been happening since I purchased the card about 1 month ago. I want to return it and get a new one but I wouldn't have a graphics card to use in the mean time. This happens randomly when I'm running games like overwatch and ark among others. Sometimes it will happen after a few minutes of gameplay, sometimes it will happen after a few hours, sometimes it won't happen at all. When the crashing does happen, I get no notification for overheating, the screen just turns grey and the audio cuts out entirely. The only way to fix it is with a manual restart of my computer. To be clear, I do not think this has to do with overheating on my GPU. I keep my fans running at 80% constantly and my temps under gaming conditions will go no higher than 69°C. It crashes even when temps are below that.

I used DDU to uninstall all of my previous drivers and I reinstalled the latest ones, which I believe is 17.1.2? This had no effect on the crashing, although it "appears" to happen a little less frequently now. The fact that switching between older and newer drivers had no effect leads me to believe that it isn't a GPU driver issue. Also I guess its worth mentioning that I bought this card used from the Amazon Warehouse, so there is a possibility its just broken somehow. Do you guys have any idea what could be causing these crashes? Here are my specs:

Mobo- MSI Gaming Pro Carbon 970A
Processor- AMD FX-8350 Black edition
Cooler- AMD Wraith Cooler
GPU- Asus ROG STRIX RX 480 8GB
RAM- OCPC 24 GB (1600 MHz)
HDD- 1TB Toshiba
SSD- PNY 120 GB
PSU- 850w OCZ Gamexstream

Thanks in advance for any help I get! If you need me to provide more information, I'll gladly do so!

LegionSquad1

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Update: I see a couple of other people with similar issues as mine, all describe crashing to a grey screen and having to restart, but there are no responses to either of their posts.

didntlikelost

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
I'm having the same issue with my Asus Dual rx480 8gb. I just found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xxin8/psa_rx480_users_with_grey_screen_and_freezes/

I plan to give it a try when I get home this evening.

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
This is strange, I own the same card and run the fans between 30 - 40% and it wont go over 70 degrees in GTA V. Use afterburner and check if it automatically underclocks itself for some reason

LegionSquad1

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

Thanks for your response. I have yet to hear any beeping from my mobo when the screen turns grey, but I will keep you posted if that happens.

LegionSquad1

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

Thanks for linking the reddit post, I will try this as soon as possible. Let me know if it works for you.

Elemandares

Honorable
Mar 20, 2017

no,no it looks what you saw mate so much pixelation in there not becuase of camera i guess my problem connected to monitor to card cable type issue for your problem you can try reseat card and bios update so much issue have this card and its very exhausting i bought yesterday and almost 2 days struggling with problems :(

didntlikelost

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

So I used DDU to unistall my drivers (that I had installed from the disk that came with the card), and then I installed the drivers from the Asus website. I had read this as a possible fix elsewhere... but it did not work. At this point I have decided to attempt to return the card. I dont feel like I should have to monkey around with the voltage to get a brand new card to work, so I've opted to not try the steps in that link.

Sorry that I didn't have a better answer for you.

LegionSquad1

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Ok so i did adjust the wattman settings according to the reddit post however I still get the issue, I actually am starting to think it is a temperature issue. I set the GPU to the "Silent Mode" and just went on overwatch to spectate a game and it crashed within 5 minutes. After restarting my PC, the GPU was at 56C. Should I just turn it in and get a new one?

LegionSquad1

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
I was not able to come up with a solution for this problem, but the Amazon rep was kind enough to issue a full refund without me having to return the GPU. I purchased the same GPU from Amazon again, new this time, so I will let you all know how it works. I might buy thermal pasting and add it to the old one to see if that will fix the problem I'm having but I'm not too worried about it now.

Kinsjustsavedlife

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
MY FRIEND JUST FUCKING SOLVED IT. DEELETE ASUS GPU TWEAK. THEN, USE MSI AFTERBURNER SOFTWARE TO DECREASE THE CLOCK TO STABLE LEVELS. THE CLOCK THAT WAS GIVEN TO YOU WAS UNSTABLE.
BRING DOWN CORE CLOCK TO 1200
AND BRING DOWN MEMORY CLOCK TO 1266.
I SWEAR TO GOD IT WAS SOLVED.

olin903

Commendable
Apr 5, 2019
MY FRIEND JUST FUCKING SOLVED IT. DEELETE ASUS GPU TWEAK. THEN, USE MSI AFTERBURNER SOFTWARE TO DECREASE THE CLOCK TO STABLE LEVELS. THE CLOCK THAT WAS GIVEN TO YOU WAS UNSTABLE.
BRING DOWN CORE CLOCK TO 1200
AND BRING DOWN MEMORY CLOCK TO 1266.
I SWEAR TO GOD IT WAS SOLVED.
how do you bring down memory clock to 1266?
im only can bring down to 1750