Question ASUS ROG STRIX RX 580 8Gb fans too loud

Feb 22, 2019
I bought a new RX 580 from Asus two weeks ago for my new AMD build. Performance wise, it does what it has to, but the fans are extremely loud. My previous card was another rx580 8gb from Sapphire but I never heard anything like this from that card.

I checked in afterburner and tried out different fan speeds, and found that the fans are reasonably quiet until 25%-30% of their max RPM. Around 40% it actually starts to get mildly annoying, and from around 50% and upwards it sounds like a jet engine and a leafblower making love. Mind you, all this in a sound dampened be quiet! Silent Base 600 case. It's not rattling or anything but the sound of the fans seem to be unreasonable, knowing that same card from Sapphire was quiet as a mouse under the same loads (namely gaming).

I set up a custom fan curve, but that didn't help much, as I have very little wiggle room between the loudness and the heat it generates.

There is no way that any other part would make this sound as the GPU is the last thing I changed. My system was inaudible with the Sapphire Card.

I returned it and asked for another one, but it is the same with the new one too. Any review I read mentions how quiet the Strix fans are. It's making me crazy...

Did anybody who has the same card (or any other card with the triple Strix cooler) experienced this?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019
why did you go from the nitro to the strix? the nitro is the best 580 there is hands down. have you tried to mess with the wattman fan option?

It was a Pulse not a Nitro. Originally I've had a 6600k+Sapphire RX580 Pulse, and switched to the 2600x and an Strix RX580 mostly for aesthetics and I got a good deal on it. I thought it would be a safe switch, as literally every review I read on the Strix coolers praises them for their quietness. Well I just tried two and both of them are obnoxiously loud.

Which options should I be tweaking in Wattman btw?

TRENDING THREADS