Question ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E AI Tweaker - AUTO Settings Too Much?

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Hi all,

I recently swapped my i7 6700k for an i9 10920x in order to edit 10-bit H265 files coming from my new camera. I'm using an
ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING motherboard and I believe the cooling system I have is the Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme. I say "believe" because my friend gave it to me a couple years ago and I never looked at the model. It looks exactly like the H100i though.

I've been very OCD about monitoring my CPU temps when editing, and am finding it gets particularly warm when exporting my videos. It usually ranges between 79 - 84C during exports of videos of only around 2 minutes. My usual edits are around 10 minutes long, so I feel like the CPU could get even warmer during those exports. I went into my BIOS and set everything to default which resulted in a three tier frequency setting on my CPU. The "Target CPU Turbo Mode Frequency" is at 4.8GHz, which seems too high for my comfort zone, then there are two other frequency settings, one was set at 4GHz, the other at 3.8GHz. Everything else I left on auto, except the DRAM, which I set to 3200MHz, since that's how fast my RAM is, and that's how fast the motherboard can support. When the CPU is given a task like exporting a 4k video, it cranks to around 4.5 - 4.6GHz, which I'm assuming is what is also raises the temperature.

Long story short, I'm wondering if I can keep that same "three tier" frequency setting in my BIOS, but lower what I allow the Turbo Mode Frequency to go up to. I like the idea of keeping my CPU running at a lower frequency when it doesn't need to crank, and then allowing it to crank up when a larger task is at hand, but would feel more comfortable if it only cranked to maybe 4.1 - 4.2GHz. I tried just syncing all cores and letting it run at 4.1GHz, but it seems to result in overall warmer idling temps of around 45-47C. Does anyone know how to keep this variable CPU frequency, but also make changes to it with this motherboard?

Thank you!
Dan

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
You can't change the turbo speed unless you manually clock all cores.
Your idle temps with 4.1 Ghz are safe as long as load temps don't go over 85C.

Thank you for the response! I’ll have to test under load with all cores synced at 4.1 Ghz. Under full load during an editing benchmark (higher load than I think I’d ever realistically push it) with the turbo set to 4.8ghz I saw my temp hit 90C, so I stopped the test.

If I tried to manually clock all cores (I have 12 but it only looks like I can set frequencies on 0-7) would I just set 1/3 of them to be lower, 1/3 of them to be middle, and then 1/3 of them to be higher as my turbo boost max? I do like the idea of my PC running on lower frequencies when they’re not needed.

Do you think this cooling system is adequate? I don’t have it hooked up via USB so I can’t control it via the Corsair app. I did set the fan speed to auto and it seems to rev up at the correct times.

thanks again.

Set the 4.1ghz frequency for those 8 cores, it should also set the 4 others to 4.1. I don't have the same motherboard or cpu to see if you can control the other 4 cores.

With a better cooler you will have more performance as the cpu will downclock once 95C is reached.

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Set the 4.1ghz frequency for those 8 cores, it should also set the 4 others to 4.1. I don't have the same motherboard or cpu to see if you can control the other 4 cores.

With a better cooler you will have more performance as the cpu will downclock once 95C is reached.

I have no issue setting all cores to 4.1, I just select “sync all cores” and then you can enter 41 as the multiplier. I guess I wish I could manually set the AVX instructions frequencies as well as the turbo boost max frequency. Maybe there is a way, I just haven’t found enough info on the web.

The cooler I have looks pretty good, but I’d be interested in seeing how an even better one could help

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Play with the frequency until your load temps are 85C or under or get a better cooler.

i just wish I could lower that turbo boost frequency. A constant frequency of 4.1or lower seems like the sweet spot for loads at 85C or lower.

I also have considered just getting a beast cooler.. can you recommend any?

sorry, I have this one actually: Hydro Series™ H110i 280mm, not the GT
Its a couple of degrees better, not worth the upgrade as yours is already a 280mm.

Those Intel 12 cores run hot because they are still on 14nm. A 3900X would have outperformed it while being cooler.

Replacing the thermal paste with Grizzly Kryonaut will improve temps by about 5C.
You can also undervolt the cpu to decrease temps.

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Its a couple of degrees better, not worth the upgrade as yours is already a 280mm.

Those Intel 12 cores run hot because they are still on 14nm. A 3900X would have outperformed it while being cooler.

Replacing the thermal paste with Grizzly Kryonaut will improve temps by about 5C.
You can also undervolt the cpu to decrease temps.
Damn, I didn’t realize the 3900x scored so closely and is priced better. The only reason I upgraded my CPU was so I could edit my 10-bit H265 4k files natively, and I had talked to Puget Systems who said that the Intel 10000x series would be able to handle that well. While the specs between the 3900x and 10920x are very similar, with the 3900x coming out ahead, I wonder if there is something else going on with the Intel that helps it playback these tricky files?

I’m using Corsair XTM50 high performance thermal paste... Is that Grizzly stuff any better?

I guess, if I can get a cooler that keeps the CPU as cool or cooler, but also is quieter, that would be nice. I really don’t want to return my mobo and CPU and rebuild at this point.

Is the radiator size something I can increase, or is that a limitation of my case?

while clocked at 4Ghz vs 3.5Ghz, I’m getting temps of 80-84C under realistic full load (rendering a 7 minute 4k timeline). I talked to Intel, and they said this chip is fine up to 94C. These 80-84C temps are only reached for maybe 20-30s max at a time, so it seems okay I guess?

Damn, I didn’t realize the 3900x scored so closely and is priced better. The only reason I upgraded my CPU was so I could edit my 10-bit H265 4k files natively, and I had talked to Puget Systems who said that the Intel 10000x series would be able to handle that well. While the specs between the 3900x and 10920x are very similar, with the 3900x coming out ahead, I wonder if there is something else going on with the Intel that helps it playback these tricky files?

I’m using Corsair XTM50 high performance thermal paste... Is that Grizzly stuff any better?

I guess, if I can get a cooler that keeps the CPU as cool or cooler, but also is quieter, that would be nice. I really don’t want to return my mobo and CPU and rebuild at this point.

Is the radiator size something I can increase, or is that a limitation of my case?

while clocked at 4Ghz vs 3.5Ghz, I’m getting temps of 80-84C under realistic full load (rendering a 7 minute 4k timeline). I talked to Intel, and they said this chip is fine up to 94C. These 80-84C temps are only reached for maybe 20-30s max at a time, so it seems okay I guess?
The Grizzly Kryonaut is better by 3-5C.
What's your case? Does its specs say you can put a 360mm radiator?

Its recommended to keep temps around 85C max.

Reactions: hopkins802

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
The Grizzly Kryonaut is better by 3-5C.
What's your case? Does its specs say you can put a 360mm radiator?

Its recommended to keep temps around 85C max.
I got this case so long ago as part of a really simple custom built gaming PC and I’ve built on it for several years. I’ll flip it over and see if I can find a model.

3-5C is a fairly decent boost especially under load. Maybe I’ll give that a shot either way.

TRENDING THREADS