Asus rog strix X370-F: Memory compatibility question

paulog16

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Hey guys,

I want to buy G.Skillz Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) for this motherboard, but ASUS doesn't seem to have it listed. I've seen some youtubers using a 3200mhz Trident RGB kit with this motherboard.

Should I risk it and go ahead with buying this kit? PCPartPicker seems to think they're compatible, although I'm not sure how reliable that is. If I buy it and it doesn't work, what are my options?

Here's the Motherboard list:

https://imgur.com/gallery/3nMsP

Solution

Even though this reply is very late, I wanted to reply to say that Yes this combination will work for anyone in the future who sees this post who are considering this combination.

I personally have a Ryzen 7 1700, Asus Rog Strix X370-F, and 16 GB of G.Skill...

Go to the G.Skillz website and use the memory configurator to see what G,skillz memory works in that motherboard.

If what you bought isn't listed, return it for a kit that will work.

urbancamper

Distinguished
Probably a better idea to get something on the list. Or you could try to reach out to some people in these you tube videos and try to get the exact serial# of the memory they are using. but remember most of those guys are professionals and they where given there memory, along with the motherboards, and cpu from AMD. So these where pre-tested setups.

I also remember seeing some memory similar to that when the reviews first started coming out.

paulog16

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

the motherboard isn't even listed on G.skills RAM configuration tool :D even though the ram list on ASUS's website has other RAM of GSkill as compatible :| very strange. The motherboard was only released end of May iirc so that might be why.

paulog16

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

It was PaulsHardware, he said it was just a kit he had lying around anyway. I think I might msg Gskill and ask, or just wait another month.

FoxyRaven

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017

Even though this reply is very late, I wanted to reply to say that Yes this combination will work for anyone in the future who sees this post who are considering this combination.

I personally have a Ryzen 7 1700, Asus Rog Strix X370-F, and 16 GB of G.Skill TridentZ RGB (16 CAS) F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

The memory worked right on a fresh motherboard install, it was doing it's RGB rainbow effects on first boot before I even got to update the motherboard's bios. So I updated the bios right away and then proceeded to tweak the memory settings, First I tried using one of the many template profile settings provided, rebooted however the system just hung, so after resetting the bios jumper, This time I decided to skip using any of the provided profiles, and I just manually set the memory to 3200mhz, left the default CAS timings alone, bumped the voltage for the DRAM to 1.35v and rebooted and it accepted the change with zero issue.

Here's my validation report from CPU-Z showing that I am running both an Asus Rog Strix X370-F and G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 ram running at it's full 3200 speed: https://valid.x86.fr/cahf5t

For those who don't understand the numbers CPU-Z shows, keep in mind that memory is Dual Channel so that's ~1600 x2 which gives you 3200MHz.

Pic of the RGB running in sync with the mobo using the Asus Aura software (no need to download and install G.Skill software):
http://i.imgur.com/igerlBb.jpg

Solution

vashi1991

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017

any luck trying to overclock the processor along with this setting?