Question Asus Rog Strix X570-E is killing the RAM ?

Dec 24, 2022
Hello
So I have X570-E ASUS STRIX GAMING mobo, which is probably killing my ram sticks.
At beginning of the year I had couple of unexpected power cuts when pc was running but it was working fine until six months ago when it reset suddenly with black screen and was stuck on DRAM led light.
I had two sticks in A2 and B2 slots and the one from B2 slot died. I RMA'd it and it was working fine until month ago when it happened again and stick in B2 slot died again. I had some urgent work to do so I put in my spare ram set and it died again like 10 minutes later, again one stick in B2 slot.
It's my understanding that mobo supplies power to dimm slots
Could there be any other issue than mobo simply frying the RAM?

Specs:
Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 850W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CL16 3200MHz 2x16GB

What CPU? It could possible be the CPU memory controller, I know at some point Some Ryzen chips memory controllers were a little flaky, and did you test the sticks in a different system or 1 stick at a time to make sure it was actually dead before ruling out the board?

Dec 24, 2022
CPU is Ryzen 9 3900X stock settings. It's not a new build. It was working fine for 2+ years.
Anyway it turns out that ram didnt actually die. I've put it aside for a while, working with only 1 stick, and they I put it back into pc and it worked for two days till it happened again. Reset with black screen and DRAM led light. Tried to reset to no luck. Unplugged PC from power, took 1 stick out, put it back again and.. it works. I checked Event Viewer but it only says that "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. "

CPU is Ryzen 9 3900X stock settings. It's not a new build. It was working fine for 2+ years.
Anyway it turns out that ram didnt actually die. I've put it aside for a while, working with only 1 stick, and they I put it back into pc and it worked for two days till it happened again. Reset with black screen and DRAM led light. Tried to reset to no luck. Unplugged PC from power, took 1 stick out, put it back again and.. it works. I checked Event Viewer but it only says that "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. "

I would say its the CPU then, sounds like the memory controller is a bit flaky on the CPU, It is somewhat common with Ryzen 3000 series, Greg Salazar on youtube fixes viewers PC's for free, and hes had many Ryzen chips where the memory controller is dead or partially dead.

AMD does have a 3 year warranty, it may be older than that, but maybe worth a shot to contact them, I doubt the bopard will have anything to do with the ram not working unless you are forcing XMP/DOCP every time you test.

If you can get it to work, test 2133mhz, Thats most common generic speed for DDR4 which should be the easiest on the memory controller, see what happens from there. I could be wrong, been a while since I read about this, I believe with 4 sticks AMD recommends most of the 3000 series to run at 2666mhz with 4 sticks of ram, 3200mhz with just 2 sticks, Fclk stock at 3200mhz ram should be at 1600fclk, so I would go beyond that for testing anyway.

Sorry I didn't see the reply, TomsHardware's notifications dosn't always get to my inbox for some reason.

Good Luck!