Question Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming won't POST (DRAM LED)

Nov 20, 2020
Good morning from the UK!
I'm tearing my hair out... I hope someone can help!

I've just built a new PC:

Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
Corsair Vengeance RGB Black PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2666MHz (CMW32GX4M2A2666C16) x2
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M Addressable RGB CPU Tower Cooler
Corsair Pro Series HX750w PSU
Seagate 1TB FireCuda 510 M.2 NVMe SSD
Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti

I built the system no problem (I've built many systems over the years) went to boot and no POST. Instead the DRAM LED lit up on the mobo stating I have a memory issue...

Ok, started looking again at the Asus website for Memory compatibility and noted that CMW32GX4M2A2666C16 isn't listed... IDIOT!

So sent that RAM back and replaced it with the following:
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit (CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16)

I made sure this one IS on the Asus list...

Reboot and still no POST. Still the same DRAM LED lit up on the board.

I've gone through all the checks possible:
  • Tried each module individually in each DIMM
  • Updated BIOS.
  • Reset CMOS (both jumper and battery short)
  • Unplugged everything except essentials
Still no POST.

I've gone through all this with my retailer and they have come to the conclusion that it could well be a faulty Mobo so I'm now sending it back.

HOWEVER, before I do send it back, I just thought I'd post on here in case anyone else has had the same problem and/or can shed any light on any other possible causes?!

I haven't had a faulty motherboard for YEARS... or RAM for that matter... So there's a little part of me wondering if there's something else wrong?!

Could it be something completely unrelated like the PSU for example?!

Many thanks

Ben

Corsair Vengeance RGB Black PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2666MHz (CMW32GX4M2A2666C16) x2
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti

I built the system no problem (I've built many systems over the years) went to boot and no POST. Instead the DRAM LED lit up on the mobo stating I have a memory issue...

Ok, started looking again at the Asus website for Memory compatibility and noted that CMW32GX4M2A2666C16 isn't listed... IDIOT!

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit (CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16)

• Updated BIOS.
Still no POST.

I've gone through all this with my retailer and they have come to the conclusion that it could well be a faulty Mobo so I'm now sending it back.

HOWEVER, before I do send it back, I just thought I'd post on here in case anyone else has had the same problem and/or can shed any light on any other possible causes?!

I haven't had a faulty motherboard for YEARS... or RAM for that matter... So there's a little part of me wondering if there's something else wrong?!

Many thanks

Ben
A faulty motherboard isn't as rare as you might think. Memory POST errors are actually quite common on motherboards, I've owned several boards that came with faulty motherboard slots. RMA the motherboard with peace of mind.

Reactions: BenB1980

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti

• Updated BIOS.
Still no POST.

Many thanks

Ben
If I answered your question, please select it as the best answer, or alternatively you can leave it open if you wish for more responses.

Nov 20, 2020
A faulty motherboard isn't as rare as you might think. Memory POST errors are actually quite common on motherboards, I've owned several boards that came with faulty motherboard slots. RMA the motherboard with peace of mind.

Thanks, I'm still sending it back... Just a bit nervous that it's not the root cause of the problem. Therefore them sending me out another one is going to end up in the same place as now! But we'll just have to see... Will leave this open for now in case more useful knowledge comes forward!

Jan 3, 2021
Thanks, I'm still sending it back... Just a bit nervous that it's not the root cause of the problem. Therefore them sending me out another one is going to end up in the same place as now! But we'll just have to see... Will leave this open for now in case more useful knowledge comes forward!
Hi Ben, I'm having the same issue. Has there been any update since you exchanged your mobo?

Please let us know. Thanks

Nov 20, 2020
Hi! Sorry for taking so long to reply. Yeah, so I RMA'd my mobo but they were out of stock for replacements so I decided to effectively get a refund and then buy a different one. I bought the x570-E Gaming version instead. Plugged everything in and it worked absolutely fine.

HOWEVER... I then had another disaster. I built the system using a redundant 750W Corsair PSU I had in the cupboard that hadn't been used all that much. It was a good few years old but I figured that, because it was effectively top of the range when I bought it, it would still be ok to use now. Famous last words! It blew when running a stress test of the system. I was a little lucky that - because it is(was) still a very high quality PSU, it protected the majority of components. However, I think one stick of RAM must have been damaged in the process because the system became very unstable once I'd bought a new PSU and the RAM failed memtest etc. Again, lucky streak - I managed to get that RAM RMAd and replaced too.

Now, the system is all ok! Running smoothly and OCing nicely too. Not found a game yet that can't cope at 100+FPS @ 4k.

TRENDING THREADS