Question ASUS Rog Strix z390 CMOS issue

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I usually power down my power supply switch when I am not using my PC. Been having problems with bios resetting the time and date clock. I find it odd and assume my battery was about to die. I am using the latest bios which is 0903 and I went to Micro Center and purchased a Duracell CR2032 battery and it works fine the other night. I resetted the CMOS and hit the 2 pins to reset the RTC. So After that the date is fine. Now I am on the PC and it seems to be resetting again? Anyone knows if I need to RMA my motherboard?

Mandark52

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
I am facing a similar issue with an Asrock motherboard. I hope you have checked for any loose connections. Also please observe your system while booting. Does it start for few seconds, stops and then starts again? If this is the case then failure in some event is triggering the bios reset as a part of failure-check process. Let me know in case of any updates on this.

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Well my motherboard does reboot normally twice because it was retraining a ram that isn't right for the motherboard which is normal because I know it isn't on the QVL list as it says so in the manual which I am fine with. However, it should work just fine as it is because the fact it fits all 300 series motherboards. It's a corsair ram vengeance RGB 3000mhz so I have no idea if the RAM is really doing this which I doubt at all. I am actually using a new battery. I will make sure everything isn't loose. I'll get back to you. I contacted ASUS and see what they would say. They have to email me since they are gonna have to transfer me to an engineer. The bios clock and date reset again a day after later like 2 days later. I shut off the PSU button most of the time because I am always gone out of the house skateboarding. So it safe to say something else is messing with my components. I dunno what is the cause. Am I supposed to disconnect EVERY connector before resetting CMOS? Is this true?

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Yea I did. In fact I just realized it's doing it again after a new battery insert. I have no idea what is the problem. Not to mention I actually fixed the Windows time and date too. It kept resetting back to AM instead of specific time what my smartphone says. I honestly think it's either I put the wrong position of the battery or I have a virus. I did go in safe mode and tried to scan with Malwarebytes and found a virus but that was just later when I already still have problems because I recently came across a wrong website and my anti-virus caught a PUP and locked it up. I wanted to delete it after scanning as prompt but it froze. So I am back in safe mode and deleted it. Main point is I think maybe my Windows 10 is corrupted. Or perhaps my bios is messed up. I dunno if it's the position of the energizer 2032 battery I placed. It can be either of those. I am tempted to reformat. Does position matter on the motherboard when it comes to placing the battery? I need advice!

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
stick with 1 thread
I recently changed my board's CMOS battery and my clock and date keeps resetting to military time. Is this normal for ASUS motherboards? I want it set to my current time and zone. Apparently I see that Windows 10 is putting the wrong time too but that happened later. It's showing like AM instead of PM. I managed to fix it but I still see bios showing military time. I wonder if I have a virus or corrupted OS?

I recently updated bios to 0905. So I dunno if I need to RMA this contraption. Advice?

I did go in safe mode and used malwarebytes to scan for viruses and it found one. Then it asked me to reboot. I did and it froze. So I emergency force shut down and then got back on and deleted the pup. This virus came WAY later because I accidently clicked a link to find a tool to fix a WINDOWS 10 time and date because I assumed it was my Windows 10's doing for messing my clocks. I even ran sfc/scannow and it did find integrity violations and It repaired but it still was showing military clocks in bios? I seen people have normal clocks in bios and I cannot seem to fix it. I wonder if it's because of the battery position I set or is my motherboard just no good?