Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming, Prime Z390-A Motherboards Unboxed

Status
Not open for further replies.

I bet it is a 4+1 phase with doubler! :D

Sep 6, 2018
"the memory traces between the processor and memory slots are also shorter, which in turn, give the ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming the edge in memory performance..." Am I understanding this right? That physical proximity on a small motherboard is going to translate into measureable memory performance increase to give some kind of edge. I'm no physicist but that just sounds wrong.

Sep 6, 2018
"the memory traces between the processor and memory slots are also shorter, which in turn, give the ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming the edge in memory performance over standard ATX offerings." Am I reading this right? That the shorter physical distance involved are going to translate into any kind of measureable edge? I'm no physicist but that doesn't sound correct.

Its correct.
Some X299 Boards only have 4 Dimm Slots indead of 8 and this does increase memory performance by a little bit.
Why? Well the signals have to travel a shorter way, there are less traces with 2 Dimm Slots then with 4 and this makes interferance better so each dimm slot slot is not beafing with each other.
Moreover if you have to put less traces (like 50% less because 2<4 :D ) you dont need to root them all the way around the other ones. Space on a motherboard is really rare especially on ITX Boards (also a reason why ITX Boards are so expensive).

And this "the shorter the way the better" also goes for things like VRMs.
If the Voltage supplied for your CPU does have a travel a long way your VRM might need to output (just a random example now!) 1,3V so that the CPU input voltae is 1,27V. Thats why the VRM is right next to your CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.