Question ASUS ROG Strix Z490-A GAMING TPM (FIXED)

Dec 7, 2022
So yesterday I got a watermark with the text "Requirements not meet" after using w11 since it was release without any problems. I download w11 assistent tool and it told me that my TPM was not activated/found. I'm 110% sure I had it enabled for months I went to my bios and it was disabled. I turned it on and after that my computer don't boot and not able to get into bios. I removed the battery for 10 minutes on my motherboard. Also did the reset with a screwdriver on clrtc. The bios clearly reset since my fans start to work and then turns of for a couple of second then on a again when I plug in power again. But still black screen and no bios :( Have no clue what to do. What has happened, a reset of bios should turn of tpm again if that's the problem? Tried over 2 hours now and need help!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
seems it used to turn itself off in the past - link

try this

3.5 ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility is an auto recovery tool that allows you to restore the BIOS file when it fails or gets corrupted during the updating process.

You can restore a corrupted BIOS file using the motherboard support DVD or a USB flash drive that contains the BIOS file.

The BIOS file in the motherboard support DVD may be older than the BIOS file published on the ASUS official website. If you want to use the newer BIOS file, download the file at https://www.asus.com/support/ and save it to a USB flash drive.
Recovering the BIOS
To recover the BIOS:
  1. Turn on the system.
  2. Insert the motherboard support DVD to the optical drive, or the USB flash drive containing the BIOS file to the USB port.
  3. The utility automatically checks the devices for the BIOS file. When found, the utility reads the BIOS file and enters ASUS EZ Flash 3 automatically.
  4. The system requires you to enter BIOS Setup to recover the BIOS setting. To ensure system compatibility and stability, we recommend that you press <F5> to load default
BIOS values
Page 3-4 = https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E16924_ROG_STRIX_Z490-A_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

in theory you can replace the settings you changed and allow you back into bios.

Or use Bios flash back, see page 2-16

BIOS FlashBack™ allows you to easily update the BIOS without entering the existing BIOS or operating system. Simply insert a USB storage device to the USB port (the USB port hole marked in green on the I/O shield) then press the BIOS FlashBack™ button for three seconds to automatically update the BIOS.

you have so many ways to get back in, you should be fine.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
see my last post.

Use bios flashback, grab new BIOS from website and update, that should remove the settings you changed. reset CMOS after flashing bios
even if you have latest BIOS now, you can flash over the top of itself.

Dec 7, 2022
So I tried to bios flashback, newest bios update. Only black screen. The motherboard has a green light so it's not broken and the computer is running but the screen is black. I can't understand that this has anything to do with me putting on tpm, can that crash the hole computer like this? My computer have colors and the colors going off of I press alt Ctrl and delete if thats any help. I put in the flash drive, pressed the button for 4-5 second and let it runs for solid 10 minutes. Turned it of and and on and still black screen :(

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I tried to bios flashback, newest bios update. Only black screen. The motherboard has a green light so it's not broken and the computer is running but the screen is black. I can't understand that this has anything to do with me putting on tpm, can that crash the hole computer like this? My computer have colors and the colors going off of I press alt Ctrl and delete if thats any help. I put in the flash drive, pressed the button for 4-5 second and let it runs for solid 10 minutes. Turned it of and and on and still black screen :(
What processor do you have?

Dec 7, 2022
Update: was searching around suddenly found one person with the exact same problem. He got a tip to hold the power button for 30 seconds. It ACTUALLY worked!! Bios reverted my TPM setting and it's working again. So apparently I can't use TPM. Don't know how big of a problem it will be run w11 then but if it will I go back to w10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can understand that.

I am not sure how you will go without ptt turned on (ptt is what Intel call tpm)

Its possible its enabled by default on newest bios, that was main reason I would update as its possible old bios versions have problems. Newest BIOS version is 2601
It would be nice if the updates had dates on them, you can tell which bios number you have now by looking on the System Information App, on the line next to Bios Date/Version

You did it the right way so could have just been bad luck - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046215/

Dec 7, 2022
The watermark with the text "Requirements not meet" are gone now in w11. But I think tpm or ptt is turned off. I'm just scared to try that one again now to day after all that mess yesterday..

Colif

Win 11 Master
How to check:
right click start
choose run...
type tpm.msc and press enter

that will show you if its enabled or not
fxJYmtM.jpg

Dec 7, 2022
How to check:
right click start
choose run...
type tpm.msc and press enter

that will show you if its enabled or not
fxJYmtM.jpg

It's not enabled. But I got this black screen last time I enabled it and barely got the computer to work again. What can be the reason for the black screen, was it random and it is safe to try to enable it again?! I also got update on W11 to day which I can't install because TPM is disabled. So after a while I guess I will need to either fix the TPM problem if it is a problem or just go back to windows 10 :/

Dec 7, 2022
Also a big question, why no indication of tpm or any other problem since the w11 release and suddenly now tpm is off. Ive been updating w11 without any problem for many months. now I can't because TPM is not found.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you know if your drives are formatted as MBR or GPT?
i could explain how you find out but its easier to use a link - https://pureinfotech.com/check-gpt-mbr-partition-windows-10/
saves me typing it all out.

If drive formatted as MBR, its possible that is reason for black screen. I know it can cause it on Gigabyte boards, I haven't seen it on Asus though. And that shouldn't be it anyway as the problem happens after enabling secure boot, not tpm.
If drive is GPT, that isn't reason.

wait and see if watermark comes back

Also a big question, why no indication of tpm or any other problem since the w11 release and suddenly now tpm is off. Ive been updating w11 without any problem for many months. now I can't because TPM is not found.

Settings in BIOS shouldn't change unless you have software from motherboard maker installed that can change settings, or the CMOS battery is dying and needs to be replaced to remember settings.

I don't think Armory Crate could change tpm. Its sort of a strange setting to have. Pretty sure it can't.
I suspect only bios updates can change that. I don't think Armory Crate auto updates the bios. I don't think it has the ability?

I can't find anyone else with your board having this happen.

Dec 7, 2022
I did update my bios with bios flashback so maybe that disabled PTT? I'm far from a pc expert so ii don't know much about this. Put pretty sure I got black screen and no way to get into bios because of tpm. Thats why I'm scared to try again. But I will use your link now and find out what my m2 storage is.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I believe you but well, searching for Enabling tpm or ptt caused black screen comes back with no answers... plenty for Secure boot, but not tpm.

The newest bios doesn't mention tpm so its likely it did turn it off. Its also possible you could turn TPM on with it installed and see if it did it again.

He got a tip to hold the power button for 30 seconds.

It discharges the motherboard of any residual voltage, resets some BIOS settings (depends on your laptop manufacturer) and the System Management Controller (aka power management controller )
link
well, I guess that explains why that worked.

So you can't update windows now because of TPM?

Dec 7, 2022
Do you know if your drives are formatted as MBR or GPT?
i could explain how you find out but its easier to use a link - https://pureinfotech.com/check-gpt-mbr-partition-windows-10/
saves me typing it all out.

If drive formatted as MBR, its possible that is reason for black screen. I know it can cause it on Gigabyte boards, I haven't seen it on Asus though. And that shouldn't be it anyway as the problem happens after enabling secure boot, not tpm.
If drive is GPT, that isn't reason.

wait and see if watermark comes back

Settings in BIOS shouldn't change unless you have software from motherboard maker installed that can change settings, or the CMOS battery is dying and needs to be replaced to remember settings.

I don't think Armory Crate could change tpm. Its sort of a strange setting to have. Pretty sure it can't.
I suspect only bios updates can change that. I don't think Armory Crate auto updates the bios. I don't think it has the ability?

I can't find anyone else with your board having this happen.

I did check my drive noe and it was GPT. But I'm pretty sure TPMmwas enabled before because I've been running w11 since release without any problem. Maybe I should just try again to enable TPM?