Question Asus Rog Strix Z590-E black pins, killed the CPU ?

Jan 20, 2023
Hi!

Recently I bought an Asus Rog Strix Z590-E motherboard as used..
He sold me as a good and working motherboard, bearly used just tested.

He shipped it to me, later that day I put it together, followed the book of the motherboard to connect all.
First start up
Smoke came out of the motherboard and processor died instantly, got burned.

I made photos of the motherboard before i put it all together and I noticed some black spots on the pins after I builded my pc fully.

I had it with I9 11900K,RTX 3090, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2X8Gb 3000MHZ DDR4, Corsair H115i Pro watercooler, Evga SuperNova G3 1000W, Arctic MX6 paste
The black pins only showed with flashlight or strong light. And i didnt check the cpu pins on my pictures just after it happened

Could it be that the motherboard was already bad?
Or the cpu was bad?
Or I messed up something?
Could it kill anything else?
6BnQ48X.jpeg

HKGubmI.jpeg

7ImVMJB.jpeg

KGw7ujz.jpeg

And then this happened
n3SHtym.jpeg

wRNrQ1l.jpeg

nqZ8OTS.jpeg

ZYKgRok.jpeg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Could it be that the motherboard was already bad?

Quite likely, since you bought used MoBo, which comes "as is" and there is 0 expectation of it working fine, without burning anything.

Or I messed up something?

With that kind of expensive hardware, why did you buy used MoBo? :unsure:
And out of those other components, what else you bought used?

Could it kill anything else?

Bad MoBo can also kill RAM. And under some circumstances, GPU as well. (Though, GPU usually dies when inferior PSU is used.)

Jan 20, 2023
Quite likely, since you bought used MoBo, which comes "as is" and there is 0 expectation of it working fine, without burning anything.

With that kind of expensive hardware, why did you buy used MoBo? :unsure:
And out of those other components, what else you bought used?

Bad MoBo can also kill RAM. And under some circumstances, GPU as well. (Though, GPU usually dies when inferior PSU is used.)

I didnt bought the motherboard as new since I got scammed by a company in Hungary over 1k😅
Thats why I bought it as used sadly.
PSU and everything else was new expect my Nvme M2 ssd.

Could it be that it got fixed/replaced socket on the motherboard? It has some ,,fluid"? Or something inside and outside of the socket.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I didnt bought the motherboard as new since I got scammed by a company in Hungary over 1k😅

Why not buy the MoBo from same store where you bought the rest of the components? :unsure:

1000 Hungarian Forints? That's peanuts, especially considering that brand new MoBos go for 70.000+ Ft/HUF.

Thats why I bought it as used sadly.

And now, you pay the price of buying used stuff.

Btw, i'm not rich enough to buy used hardware, so, i'll buy brand new instead.

Could it be that it got fixed/replaced socket on the motherboard? It has some ,,fluid"? Or something inside and outside of the socket.

There is no telling what the MoBo saw or how it was abused. But the fact is, it was defective when sold (hence the reason to sell it) and you got burned, both by your money and additional hardware as well.

-----

For replacement MoBo, how about this MSI Z590;
link: https://www.alza.hu/EN/msi-mag-z590-tomahawk-wifi-d6386169.htm?o=5

Or any other MoBo, brand new, from alza.hu. Looks reputable site to me.

Jan 20, 2023
Why not buy the MoBo from same store where you bought the rest of the components? :unsure:

1000 Hungarian Forints? That's peanuts, especially considering that brand new MoBos go for 70.000+ Ft/HUF.

And now, you pay the price of buying used stuff.

Btw, i'm not rich enough to buy used hardware, so, i'll buy brand new instead.

There is no telling what the MoBo saw or how it was abused. But the fact is, it was defective when sold (hence the reason to sell it) and you got burned, both by your money and additional hardware as well.

-----

For replacement MoBo, how about this MSI Z590;
link: https://www.alza.hu/EN/msi-mag-z590-tomahawk-wifi-d6386169.htm?o=5

Or any other MoBo, brand new, from alza.hu. Looks reputable site to me.

Well I dont know what motherboard yet I still have to decide it.
Not 1000 huf, I meant to say it in euros, sorry for that. I got scammed 400000 HUF😅
This Asus one as new going around 160000 HUF

Thank you for your replies

Reactions: Aeacus

TRENDING THREADS