Question ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Onboard HDMI port dead

dchamb

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Hello,

I have an Asus ROG Strix Z590-E motherboard which has an onboard HDMI port. However I cannot figure out how to make it work. Monitor displays "No signal" and I know the monitor works by plugging in an HDMI cable from a port on a graphics card. The BIOS is up to date with the latest on ASUS' website.

When I go into the BIOS, under Advanced\System Agen (SA) Configuration\Graphics Configuration, all I have is Primary Display which is set to Auto. When I go to Boot\Compatibility Support Module, it is Enabled. If I disable it, I can get the multiple display option on Graphics Configuration. But the BIOS cannot find any bootable drives. So I can boot to Windows if I don't have the HDMI port activated, but can't boot to Windows if the HDMI port is activated.

This doesn't seem right to me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dale

First thought: if you set Primary Display to CPU Graphics, what happens then; or if the graphics card is installed, if you set it to PCIe, what happens then? I would start by trying all the settings for Primary Display first and see what each does. As for CSM, how many drives do you have and what is on each of them; is there more than one operating system? CSM is normally no longer used as Secure Boot is preferred by Windows. Is your Windows drive identified as an MBR drive or a GPT drive? What is your Secure Boot setting (nowadays it would normally be Enabled)?

Last edited:

dchamb

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
First thought: if you set Primary Display to CPU Graphics, what happens then; or if the graphics card is installed, if you set it to PCIe, what happens then? I would start by trying all the settings for Primary Display first and see what each does. As for CSM, how many drives do you have and what is on each of them; is there more than one operating system? CSM is normally no longer used as Secure Boot is preferred by Windows. Is your Windows drive identified as an MBR drive or a GPT drive? What is your Secure Boot setting (nowadays it would normally be Enabled)?

1. There is no option for setting Primary Display to CPU Graphics. A Nvidea graphics card is installed and it is functionally properly. I tried Primary Display set to PCIE and restarted the computer with no change, except the BIOS reverted the setting back to Auto. Then I set Primary Display to PEG but the computer booted to Windows with the motherboard HDMI still dead. It behaved no differently than when I left it to Auto.
  2. My Windows OS drive is identified as MBR. Secure boot is Custom (I believe). I suppose I will need to find a way to clone my Windows OS drive to be a GPT drive so I can disable CSM. It looks like the onboard HDMI will not work as long as CSM is enabled.

You can't clone an MBR drive to a GPT drive since the MBR identifier is built into the partitions created by Windows. Windows now provides a utility to convert MBR to GPT but you should study the procedure first and more importantly back up your drive or essential data in case there's a problem. Most people here use the free Macrium imaging software for backups but you will have to have some alternate or external storage to store the backup image. At least you would have that backup in case your MBR to GPT conversion doesn't work and you don't have time for a complete reinstall.

A new bios version 1303 was released; I just flashed mine using the Tool menu built into the bios and everything seems OK. I don't know if this will help you since you still have to deal with MBR requiring CSM.

dchamb

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Yes, going from an existing MBR to GPT looks tedious and not straightforward. I will take my time with it and fortunately, I have drives I use for backups.

I don't see version 1303 yet for my motherboard; just 1301. I'm beginning to suspect something is not quite up to par with 1301. The previous version which came with my motherboard was 0707 and I was able to configure the machine to boot after power loss. I can't get that to work now. <sigh>. I think it is time to swap this out for a non-Asus machine. I have an Intel NUC that is destined to take its place.

Dale

Yes, going from an existing MBR to GPT looks tedious and not straightforward. I will take my time with it and fortunately, I have drives I use for backups.

I don't see version 1303 yet for my motherboard; just 1301. I'm beginning to suspect something is not quite up to par with 1301. The previous version which came with my motherboard was 0707 and I was able to configure the machine to boot after power loss. I can't get that to work now. <sigh>. I think it is time to swap this out for a non-Asus machine. I have an Intel NUC that is destined to take its place.

Dale
MY BAD! Yes, it is version 1301, I mixed up the bios number with the 03/03 release date. Sorry for the confusion. If you can still access the bios update function under the Bios Tool menu, that may solve some of your problems. I use that as the safest way to update since you don't have to worry about booting from a usb stick and you can locate the update cap file in whatever location its in on your disks.

dchamb

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Update: I converted my boot drive from MBR to GPT, turned off CSM in the BIOS which enabled full UEFI and the system booted back up just fine. Shutdown to change the BIOS setting under Advanced/System Agen (SA) Configuration\Graphics Configuration and the setting for multiple displays appeared. I enabled it and restarted. Much to my joy, both displays were now online! Now if I can just figure out the Next Boot after AC Power Loss problem I will be in great shape!

Reactions: dwd999

TRENDING THREADS