Question Asus Rog Strix Z790-e Gaming SSD on m.2_1 or pci-e slot?

Under Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014
Hello everyone,

I bought an Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 motherboard to use with an i9-13900K processor. I decided on this ROG-E model because it is the only one that has a Gen5 M.2 SSD slot (M.2_1). I want to use the GIGABYTE AORUS Gen5 10000 M.2 2280 2TB on this M.2 slot, but I now realize that my RTX 4090 will run at 8x. If this is true, how much performance will I lose? If I use the SSD HyperCard on the second PCI-E slot, will my GPU run at 16x? What is the best scenario for my case?

Thanks!

About 2-3% according to reviews.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/28.html

If you use your NVME drive in a different slot, it should not affect your G5 slot performance, but you will only get PCIe 4.0 speeds from your M.2 drive, which is fine, because you'll never see ACTUAL PCIe 5.0 speeds anyhow and even if you did, it is only under very limited circumstances that drive speed has ANY effect on gaming to begin with. Loading maps, textures and saves, is basically it.

LOLOLOLOLOL.

ChatGPT? You're joking right? You should see the tests we've thrown at it, those of us who are moderators and veteran members here. I wouldn't believe that POS if it told me the sun rises in the East. Sure, it's going to get some things right once in a while, but overall, it's a sad joke at this point.

We've PROVEN it to be completely full of crap using extremely basic questions where all of the required information to answer correctly was EASILY available AND digestible through very common sources online.

For example. Asking about one of our moderators, specifically, by user name, ChatGPT tells us blah, blah, blah and how great a contributor he is, having been directly involved with the development of the GPU hierarchy charts and this and that, and yet that individual NEVER had anything to do with ANY of what ChatGPT returned as factual. A fracking joke, is what it is. No offense. It IS an interesting joke, and it does come up with some entertaining responses sometimes, but it is nothing you would want to believe or trust when it comes to things that might have an actual tangible effect on something that you are trying to do that is both important AND could impact you negatively.

Under Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014
LOLOLOLOLOL.

Bate-papoGPT? Você está brincando certo? Você deveria ver os testes que fizemos, aqueles de nós que são moderadores e membros veteranos aqui. Eu não acreditaria naquele POS se ele me dissesse que o sol nasce no leste. Claro, vai acertar algumas coisas de vez em quando, mas no geral, é uma piada triste neste momento.

PROVAMOS que ele é completamente sem sentido usando perguntas extremamente básicas, nas quais todas as informações necessárias para responder corretamente estavam FACILMENTE disponíveis E digeríveis por meio de fontes on-line muito comuns.

Por exemplo. Perguntando sobre um de nossos moderadores, especificamente, pelo nome de usuário, o ChatGPT nos diz blá, blá, blá e o quão grande colaborador ele é, tendo estado diretamente envolvido com o desenvolvimento dos gráficos de hierarquia da GPU e isso e aquilo, e ainda aquele indivíduo NUNCA teve nada a ver com o que o ChatGPT retornou como factual. Uma piada de merda, é o que é. Sem ofensa. É uma piada interessante e às vezes apresenta algumas respostas divertidas, mas não é nada em que você gostaria de acreditar ou confiar quando se trata de coisas que podem ter um efeito real tangível em algo que você está tentando fazer. ambos importantes E podem impactar você negativamente.
[/CITAR]

I nderstud you point of view, the I.A make lot of mistaks with me another time. But in the mayority she helps alot with the massive work. Anyway, about the answer, she's right?
LOLOLOLOLOL.

ChatGPT? You're joking right? You should see the tests we've thrown at it, those of us who are moderators and veteran members here. I wouldn't believe that POS if it told me the sun rises in the East. Sure, it's going to get some things right once in a while, but overall, it's a sad joke at this point.

We've PROVEN it to be completely full of crap using extremely basic questions where all of the required information to answer correctly was EASILY available AND digestible through very common sources online.

For example. Asking about one of our moderators, specifically, by user name, ChatGPT tells us blah, blah, blah and how great a contributor he is, having been directly involved with the development of the GPU hierarchy charts and this and that, and yet that individual NEVER had anything to do with ANY of what ChatGPT returned as factual. A fracking joke, is what it is. No offense. It IS an interesting joke, and it does come up with some entertaining responses sometimes, but it is nothing you would want to believe or trust when it comes to things that might have an actual tangible effect on something that you are trying to do that is both important AND could impact you negatively.
I understand your point of view. The AI makes a lot of mistakes with me sometimes, but most of the time it helps a lot with the massive workload. Anyway, about the answer, is it correct regarding what I asked her?

Under Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014
Cerca de 2-3% de acordo com as avaliações.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/28.html

Se você usar sua unidade NVME em um slot diferente, isso não deve afetar o desempenho do slot G5, mas você obterá apenas velocidades PCIe 4.0 de sua unidade M.2, o que é bom, porque você nunca verá velocidades REAIS de PCIe 5.0 de qualquer maneira e mesmo que você tenha, é apenas em circunstâncias muito limitadas que a velocidade do drive tem QUALQUER efeito no jogo, para começar. Carregar mapas, texturas e saves, é basicamente isso.
[/CITAR]
About 2-3% according to reviews.

If you use your NVME drive in a different slot, it should not affect your G5 slot performance, but you will only get PCIe 4.0 speeds from your M.2 drive, which is fine, because you'll never see ACTUAL PCIe 5.0 speeds anyhow and even if you did, it is only under very limited circumstances that drive speed has ANY effect on gaming to begin with. Loading maps, textures and saves, is basically it.
To resume, if I use the SSD on the M.2_1 slot, the GPU will run at 8x and the SSD at Gen5. However, if I place the SSD on a hypercard in the second PCIe slot, the GPU will go back to 16x. Will the SSD still run at Gen5 in this scenario? Is there a way to achieve the best possible scenario, with the GPU running at 16x and the SSD at Gen5 in my current hardware setup? Thank you!
Hello everyone,

I bought an Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 motherboard to use with an i9-13900K processor. I decided on this ROG-E model because it is the only one that has a Gen5 M.2 SSD slot (M.2_1). I want to use the GIGABYTE AORUS Gen5 10000 M.2 2280 2TB on this M.2 slot, but I now realize that my RTX 4090 will run at 8x. If this is true, how much performance will I lose? If I use the SSD HyperCard on the second PCI-E slot, will my GPU run at 16x? What is the best scenario for my case?

Thanks!
I'll resume my question. Is it possible to have the best scenario (gpu at 16x and ssd Gen5 using all potential "at gen5") with this hardware? I think this is possible using this ssd gen5 in a ssd hypercard at pci-e 2 slot to keep gpu running at 16x and take all of my ssd? That's correct? Or i'll need chose only Gpu best performance or ssd best performance?

Thanks!

I already fully answered the question. It is NOT possible to use the primary M.2 slot and get full x16 operation from the G5 PCIe slot. Personally, I'd just put the NVME drive in one of the slots that is tied to the chipset lanes rather than the PCIe 5.0 CPU lanes. You will never notice the difference. Ever. And then you won't lose 2-3% graphics throughput performance, even theoretically.