Asus ROG Swift PG278Q powers up, but "no display" message appears

ptrthgr8

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Hi, all.

I took delivery of this PG278Q yesterday – I’ve been eyeballing them for many months now and decided to pull the trigger. I have been disappointed thus far to get nothing but the dreaded “No Display” message. I was running a DisplayPort connection with my old monitor (an ASUS VS278Q) through my Gigabyte Gaming-4GC GTX 970 without any issues, so I know the DP port on the GPU and the cable were fine. I tried swapping out the DP cable with the one that came with the Swift, but still no joy. I booted up the computer multiple times, but no joy. I moved my older monitor back to an HDMI connection, rebooted, connected the Swift with the DP cable, but nothing… rebooted, but nothing again. I feel like I’ve narrowed down everything I can think of. The GPU can easily handle this monitor, the DP cables/port work just fine, but the Swift just doesn’t want to recognize anything. I’ve tried power cycling the monitor a number of times, but it still only runs through the startup (the Republic of Gamers splash screen) then shows the “no display”, and goes black.

Am I missing something? I’m assuming there are some drivers that are needed (the disc that came with the monitor seems to have them), but I’ve got the most recent nVidia drivers on my card (353.06 5/31/2015), and even if specific drivers were needed I would think I’d at least get some sort of display coming through the monitor.

I think this monitor was DOA, but I wanted to see if anyone else out there might know some tricks to get this thing to come to life. Would sure be easier than shipping it back to Amazon.

Thanks!

System specs:
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower Gaming Case
Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme (ATX, Socket 1366)
CPU: Intel i7 980 3.33GHz (OC to 3.47 GHz by builder), 133 MHz bus, 12 MB L3 cache, LGA1366, Chipset ID 3A16
GPU: GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD GTX 970 4MB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready G-SYNC Support Video Card
CPU cooling: Asetek 570LX w/dual radiator, 2x silent high performance fans
RAM: 24GB (4GBx6) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200M 1200W
SFX: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series)
Primary SSD: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Desktop Kit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250KW
Storage HDD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Optical 1: Pioneer BDR-206D 12x BD/DVD/CD Burner
Optical 2: Sony Optiarc AD-7261S CD/DVD Burner
Meter display: NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller and Temp Display
Network card: Killer Xeno Pro Gaming

ptrthgr8

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Okay... so I feel pretty stupid right about now. Turns out I failed to properly seat the cables - the one I had and the one that came with the monitor. ACK! I thought it was secured (I heard and felt it click), but after a day of trying to make the monitor work (and cursing a blue streak for the ages) I happened to push the DP cable into the monitor a little bit further and I heard another "click" and the monitor came to life.

So, !@#$%^!... this issue was not the fault of Asus, but entirely mine. I thought the cable was properly seated, but it was not. I've been playing this monitor all night long and it's been perfect. I'm glad everything worked out, though I feel pretty stupid. Total rookie mistake. Gah! But I'm glad to have a sexy monitor that actually works as well as advertised!