Question Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ or Acer Predator XB271HU?

Sep 14, 2019
With potential sales going on this holiday season I am in the market for a new gaming monitor that ticks the following specs:

IPS (hoppy photographer)
1440p
144hz (I have a GTX 1080)
G-Sync
27"

Both of the monitors mentioned in the question fit the bill but three's a $100 difference and reviews are spotty on both (mostly backlight bleeding with the Asus model and longevity/reliability with the Acer model).

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
ASUS had some teething problems with the original PG279Q. Demand was much higher than anticipated and the ROI was so high they just sent everything they had. So a lot of less then desirable LCDs went out. Many people suffered from return fatigue. Many people expected perfection with an $800 panel, and some were just getting their first IPS display and not quite understanding how they look. Acer had some early quality control issues regarding dirt, debris, and fingerprints left under the anti-glare coating on the XB271HU.

Both were somewhat quickly resolved, but people were very vocal about it and most of the search results and reviews reflect that.

Not 100% sure about any issues with the PG279QZ, haven't been keeping track. Wasn't aware there were any longevity concerns, but the XB271HU is pretty old at this point, not sure if they are still building them or you are picking up unsold inventory. ASUS obviously thinks there is a reason to create another model number.

Both are fine choices in terms of specs. I have a 1080 and a PG279Q, can't get 144FPS in many many titles at this point, but still well above 60 FPS. Eventually it will just be a matter of upgrading the GPU.

Reactions: angeloiscruzen
Sep 14, 2019
ASUS had some teething problems with the original PG279Q. Demand was much higher than anticipated and the ROI was so high they just sent everything they had. So a lot of less then desirable LCDs went out. Many people suffered from return fatigue. Many people expected perfection with an $800 panel, and some were just getting their first IPS display and not quite understanding how they look. Acer had some early quality control issues regarding dirt, debris, and fingerprints left under the anti-glare coating on the XB271HU.

Both were somewhat quickly resolved, but people were very vocal about it and most of the search results and reviews reflect that.

Not 100% sure about any issues with the PG279QZ, haven't been keeping track. Wasn't aware there were any longevity concerns, but the XB271HU is pretty old at this point, not sure if they are still building them or you are picking up unsold inventory. ASUS obviously thinks there is a reason to create another model number.

Both are fine choices in terms of specs. I have a 1080 and a PG279Q, can't get 144FPS in many many titles at this point, but still well above 60 FPS. Eventually it will just be a matter of upgrading the GPU.

Thank you for the thorough response. I am trying to wrap my head around accepting some back light bleed but hopefully the upgrade as a whole will be worth it. I will lean towards the PG279QZ considering it's a "2019" model. Black Friday in the US is still a month away so if anyone wants to suggest other panels I am open to suggestions.