[SOLVED] Asus ROG Xg27VQ Stutters above 60 mhz

Bloch

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Group, i've been googling everywhere for 3 days, purchased a couple of DP cables to no avail so i decided start a post instead.

HDMI works fine but i read it cannot go above 120mhz (HDMI 1.4 only) so i decided to switch to DP, as soon as the signal comes from 144hz, the screen shakes and blinks like crazy.
I can push it up to 85hz, anything beyond will trigger the issue.

Have tried the following:

• Different GPU DP port
  • VESA Certified DP Cable
  • Limit Max Frames to 144 through Nvidia
  • Change MHZ through Windows (Resolution Change) and Nvidia control panel.
  • Updated Monitor and GPU drivers.
  • All drivers updated
  • Windows 10
  • RTX 2060
  • ROG Xg27VQ
Any input, i thank you very much but i've ran out of ideas.

Solution
Then despite that cable being VESA certified, I think I'd try another, higher quality cable.

Doesn't take much to get a certification for almost anything these days, plus half of them are faked, especially from these fly by night Chinese companies.
What displayport version do you have? Not all displayport versions support 144hz and if your HDMI version is only 1.4 your displayport version might be rather older too.

What is your exact graphics card model?

Might also need a better cable. What is the model of the cable you got?

Bloch

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
What displayport version do you have? Not all displayport versions support 144hz and if your HDMI version is only 1.4 your displayport version might be rather older too.

What is your exact graphics card model?

Might also need a better cable. What is the model of the cable you got?

Thanks for your reply.

This is the one i bought:
Cable DisplayPort certified VESA, IVANKY Cable DP (2m/6.6ft, 4K@60Hz, 2K@144Hz, 2K@165Hz)

Specs of the monitor:

DisplayPort 1.2 x 1
HDMI (v1.4)x 1

Graphics Card:
RTX 2060 AMP Zotac

Well, you should be able to do up to 240hz at 1080p with displayport 1.2, so it's got to either be a setting on the monitor or in Windows, or a problem with the cable.

Feedback on that cable looks pretty good, so I wouldn't put the cable at the top of the list.

Maybe try a different displayport port on your graphics card? Make certain the cable is FULLY seated as well. In fact, might unplug it at both ends and then reseat it, AND try a different port off your graphics card.

Bloch

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Well, you should be able to do up to 240hz at 1080p with displayport 1.2, so it's got to either be a setting on the monitor or in Windows, or a problem with the cable.

Feedback on that cable looks pretty good, so I wouldn't put the cable at the top of the list.

Maybe try a different displayport port on your graphics card? Make certain the cable is FULLY seated as well. In fact, might unplug it at both ends and then reseat it, AND try a different port off your graphics card.
I've done that already, it comes with 3 DPs and i get the same result, once i bump it up to 120 or 140hz the problem appears.

Was thinking it could be the monitor, but it works with 85hz and below just fine. This is driving me crazy.

Then despite that cable being VESA certified, I think I'd try another, higher quality cable.

Doesn't take much to get a certification for almost anything these days, plus half of them are faked, especially from these fly by night Chinese companies.

Solution

Bloch

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008

Thank you very much! Will do so. Any special brand that you'd recommend?

Considering my monitor takes DisplayPort 1.2 x1 wanting to reach 144hz.

Last edited: