Question ASUS ROG Z690-F GAMING WIFI issue with PCI drivers / Can't detect SSD in M.2_2 slot

morpheus6677

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
Hello guys

So I've recently downloaded all drivers for my newly built PC. Everything seems to be working fine except for one PCI device (and SM Bus Controller). Device Manager indicates that there are no drivers for those devices to be found. I think that the problem might correlate with the fact that I'm not able to use the second SSD (Samsung 980 PRO 2TB connected to the M.2_2 slot) in Windows. Although the M.2_2 SSD is being showed in Device Manager I can't seem to use it because I can neither find it in file manager nor in Windows storage settings. It also shows up in BIOS Advanced > NVMe Configuration but I can't select it as a boot option.

I did some research about the issue and it appears to be a common problem among ASUS Z690 Motherboards with the M.2_2 slot. I searched for the hardware Id's on my browser but couldn't find any drivers for those devices. I've tried to disable Armory Crate in the BIOS settings and also tried some older drivers for the Intel Chipset. None of which solved the problem. Can anyone help me? Otherwise I might have to change my motherboard -.-

Posted the same question but with pictures here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/143...ant-detect-ssd-in-m2_2-slot/#comment-15419370

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you manually downloaded and installed all drivers for your platform, that issue wouldn't be there. Did you download the drivers using Windows updates? What BIOS version are you on at the time of writing?

On the chipset side of drivers, there's;
Chipset(INF)
MEI(Management Engine Interface)
Serial I/O
GNA Scoring Accelerator

^ install them in that order. When installing your drivers, install them manually and in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

have you tried looking for the drives in Disk Management? Speaking of Windows, what OS are you on? If on Windows 10, what version(not edition)?

Side note, you could've easily parsed URL's for your images on this site, after hosting them on Imgur or their ilk as opposed to diverting traffic to another forum.

morpheus6677

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you manually downloaded and installed all drivers for your platform, that issue wouldn't be there. Did you download the drivers using Windows updates? What BIOS version are you on at the time of writing?

On the chipset side of drivers, there's;
Chipset(INF)
MEI(Management Engine Interface)
Serial I/O
GNA Scoring Accelerator

^ install them in that order. When installing your drivers, install them manually and in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

have you tried looking for the drives in Disk Management? Speaking of Windows, what OS are you on? If on Windows 10, what version(not edition)?

Side note, you could've easily parsed URL's for your images on this site, after hosting them on Imgur or their ilk as opposed to diverting traffic to another forum.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply

Yes, I did only install the Ethernet driver manually, Windows updates downloaded the rest of the drivers. Currently I'm on BIOS version 2.21.1278 which should be the latest version.

Didn't know that I had to install the drivers manually.

I can actually see the drives in disk management but I don't know what I should click on because I don't really understand what it says.
View: https://imgur.com/a/GaPRPIf
(thanks for the imgur tip)

My PC is running Windows 10 (64bit) version 21H1.

morpheus6677

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
Hi, thanks for the quick reply

Yes, I did only install the Ethernet driver manually, Windows updates downloaded the rest of the drivers. Currently I'm on BIOS version 2.21.1278 which should be the latest version.

Didn't know that I had to install the drivers manually.

I can actually see the drives in disk management but I don't know what I should click on because I don't really understand what it says.
View: https://imgur.com/a/GaPRPIf
(thanks for the imgur tip)

My PC is running Windows 10 (64bit) version 21H1.

Is it that bad if I install the chipset drivers in a random order?