Review Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Review: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS Tested

Dragonking_1

Commendable
Mar 30, 2020
"The Zephyrus outpeormed on Grand Theft Auto V’s benchmark (very high, 1920 x 1080) at 115 fps, losing by two frames to the Dell but easily beating the Predator with 87 fps. "

Here, this is again in conflict with the graph. The Dell (66 fps) is no where close to the Zephyrus at 115 fps.

And btw, the battery life on this machine speaks heaps about the efficiency of this CPU - I had trouble believing the battery life results for a minute there.

Keithian

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
Helpful review, but there is a section that is about Gaming, Graphics and VR, yet there is zero mention of VR in that section, or anywhere else I saw in the article. How could they have omitted that? lol. It would be nice if they edited the article with that information, as there are people like me who would never buy the laptop unless it was properly suited for VR. Fortunately I saw another review, the only one so far, that mentioned VR and said it got a 9.8 out of 11 on the SteamVR Test, above the category average of 9.2, so it sounds like this would be a good VR machine as well.

Reactions: Makste

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Not related to the CPU, but webcam should be a basic thing on a laptop. I cant believe they didnt include it. I will probably wait for other players to pitch in.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This just blew whatever Intel base laptop out of the water from a performance, battery life and price perspective. In other words, Intel is simply outclassed here. The arrival of the 10xxx series it not going to help them from a performance and battery life perspective where they are simply limited by their 14nm chips. Tiger Lake U is unlikely to save them in this market segment because the 10nm Intel chips are still limited to the 15/25W in the retail space, and likely will only be released later this year.

To be honest, this really made me quite excited about getting a Renoir based laptop. Have not felt so excited getting a laptop for sometime.

Chris Fetters

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 6, 2013
Apr 5, 2020
It's kind of staggering how nobody mentions how the display is ridiculously high latency, like near 40ms.. is this not an issue for gamers? Did you not notice this in using the computer or have ASUS put in a low latency screen now and I got my sources wrong?

Mar 30, 2020
Just got my g15 and I've been playing with it for a couple of days. I have to say it tends to get SUPER HOT. I don't know what happened with the cooling solution until I stumbled upon this on youtube
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqXFtrIKdLg

I'm returning this coz the thermal performance could not be more ridiculously poor-designed. Also round of applause for their customer service in the video, cOz I hErAd tHEy ArE JuSt DeVinE smh

twotwotwo

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Just got my g15 ... it tends to get SUPER HOT. I don't know what happened with the cooling solution until I stumbled upon this on youtube

Wild. FWIW, the G14 reviewed here (vs. your soon-to-be-ex-G15) does not have the bottom vents blocked; I feel the air flowing in. Parts of the keyboard get hot under load like you can see in the review here, but I use an external keyboard and mouse then.

I don't know a ton about how the G14 compares to other laptops thermally, but der8auer cracks a G14 open and messes with it and UltrabookReview talks about it after using one for a month.

Reactions: prtskg